Evaluating Potential of A Uniformly Charged Circular Ring - kQ/a

In summary, a uniformly charged infinitely thin circular ring of radius a has total charge Q. find the potential at a point in the xy-plane a distance 2a from the orgin, using cylindrical coordinates and giving your answer as a number times kQ/a.
Phymath
A uniformly charged infinitely thin circular ring of radius a has total charge Q. Place the ring in the xy-plane with its center at the origin. Use cylindrical coordinates...

Find the potential at a point in the xy-plane a distance 2a from the orgin give your answer as a number times kQ/a
I figured the potential to be for some point in the xy-plane,[tex] (2a, \Phi , 0)[/tex]
[tex]k_e j a \int_0 ^{2 \pi} \frac{d \theta}{\sqrt{(2a)^2+a^2-2(2a)a cos(\Phi - \theta)}}[/tex]
[tex]= k_e j a \int_0 ^{2 \pi} \frac{d \theta}{\sqrt{4a^2+a^2-4a^2 cos(\Phi - \theta)}}[/tex]
where, [tex] j = \frac{Q}{2 \pi a}[/tex]
[tex]= k_e j \int_0 ^{2 \pi} \frac{d \theta}{\sqrt{5-4cos(\Phi - \theta)}}[/tex]
did I set up this intergral right? how do I evaluate it? hints answers it all helps

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did I at least set it up correctly? I don't KNOW what to do! i know because the ring is symetric you can drop the phi...

[tex]= k_e j \int_0 ^{2 \pi} \frac{d \theta}{\sqrt{5-4cos(\theta)}}[/tex]

You want the potential in the same plane as the ring? Btw, you're forgetting a negative.

And Mathematica likes that integral about as much as I do.

--J

Last edited:
ok check this out let me know if this a valid move...

[tex]r = \sqrt{5-4cos(\theta)} [/tex] which is polar so...
polar ints have the form
[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int r^2 d \theta [/tex]

thus...

[tex] k_e j \frac{1}{2} \int_0 ^{2 \pi} \frac{1}{5-4cos(\theta)} d \theta[/tex]
thus making [tex] = \frac{k_e Q}{a} \frac{1}{6} [/tex]
let me know what you think...

anyone? come on this can't be that hard

You can't use r2 because it's not an area integral. You've already accounted for curvature when you say [itex]ds = r d\theta[/itex].

I don't see a problem with your setup, but your integral isn't easily computed. Mathematica says that it's

[tex]\frac{2Q \mbox{EllipticK} [-8]}{a \pi}[/tex]

Then again, my brain isn't in such great shape at the moment, so I could very well be wrong.

--J

can i get an actual value for EllipticK(-8)
[tex] \int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{1+8sin^2(\theta)}d\theta [/tex]

[tex]\frac{2Q \mbox{EllipticK} [-8]}{a \pi} = \frac{0.536591 Q}{a}[/tex]

--J

1. What is the significance of the equation "Evaluating Potential of A Uniformly Charged Circular Ring - kQ/a"?

The equation represents the electric potential at a point located at a distance "a" from the center of a uniformly charged circular ring with a charge of "Q". It is used to calculate the strength of the electric field at a particular point.

2. How is the electric potential affected by the distance from the center of the circular ring?

As the distance "a" increases from the center of the circular ring, the electric potential decreases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance from the source of the charge.

3. Can the equation be used for non-uniformly charged circular rings?

No, this equation can only be used for uniformly charged circular rings where the charge is distributed evenly along the circumference of the ring. For non-uniformly charged rings, more complex equations must be used to calculate the electric potential.

4. How does the charge "Q" affect the electric potential?

The electric potential is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge "Q". This means that as the charge increases, the electric potential also increases.

5. What units are used for the variables in the equation?

The charge "Q" is measured in Coulombs (C), the distance "a" is measured in meters (m), and the electric potential is measured in Volts (V).