What is the angular coefficient of the tangent line to two circumferences?

• Thread starter Taturana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary, the conversation involves finding the angular coefficient (slope) of the line that is tangent to two given circles. The person has tried using equations and systems of equations, but the equations become complicated. Another person suggests drawing right triangles in the picture to solve the problem. The original person thanks the second person and states that they have now solved the problem. However, it is noted that there are actually four possible tangent lines to the given circles.
Taturana

Homework Statement

Find the angular coefficient of the line that is tangent to the following circumferences:
[tex](x - 17)^{2} + y^{2} = 16[/tex]
[tex]x^{2} + y^{2} = 16[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything but nothing is working, please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taturana said:

Homework Statement

Find the angular coefficient of the line that is tangent to the following circumferences:
[tex](x - 17)^{2} + y^{2} = 16[/tex]
[tex]x^{2} + y^{2} = 16[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything but nothing is working, please help me.
What did you try? Have you drawn a picture of the two circles (not circumferences)?

By "angular coefficient" do you mean slope?

Mark44 said:
What did you try? Have you drawn a picture of the two circles (not circumferences)?

By "angular coefficient" do you mean slope?

Yeh I mean slope.

here is a picture:

[PLAIN]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2910/58393508.png

I tried to make a system of equations such that: the distance between the center of the circumferences and the line is equal to 4 (that is the radius of the circumferences). But I end up to something like |17a + c| = |c| (considering the line as ax + by + c = 0), but it doesn't help me.

I tried to make two systems:
1: using the equation of the first circumference and the equation of the line
2: using the equation of the second circumference and the equation of the line
then I shared some variables between these systems (a and b, considering y = ax + b as the line). But the equations become very complicated and I think it's not the easiest way.

Someone can help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Writing equations probably isn't the easiest way to solve it. Why don't you draw some right triangles in your picture?

Dick said:
Writing equations probably isn't the easiest way to solve it. Why don't you draw some right triangles in your picture?

Thank you, you helped me alot, now I solved.

I hope you realize that there is not just one tangent line that touches the circles. I count four of them.

1. What is the definition of a circumference?

A circumference is the distance around the edge of a circle. It can also be thought of as the perimeter of a circle.

2. How is the circumference of a circle calculated?

The circumference of a circle is calculated using the formula C = 2πr, where C is the circumference, π is the mathematical constant pi, and r is the radius of the circle. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula C = πd, where d is the diameter of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between the circumference and diameter of a circle?

The circumference of a circle is directly proportional to its diameter. This means that as the diameter increases, the circumference also increases, and vice versa. In fact, the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of any circle is always equal to pi (π).

4. How is a line related to a circumference?

A line is a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions. A line can intersect a circumference at two points, known as the endpoints of the line. The length of the line can be measured by calculating the circumference of the circle it intersects.

5. How is the circumference of a circle used in real-life applications?

The concept of circumference is used in many real-life applications, such as measuring the distance around a circular object (e.g. a tire), calculating the amount of fencing needed for a circular enclosure, and determining the length of a circular track or raceway. It is also used in geometry and trigonometry to solve problems involving circles and circular shapes.