Clarifying the notion of Flux Linkage

In summary: So the flux linkage is proportional to the area of the cross-section of the coil multiplied by the flux-winding-number (or Ψ*N), which is proportional to the number of turns in the coil multiplied by the ratio of the radii of the outer and inner turns.
SKo
Hello!
Im having some trouble really understanding this concept. I'll summarize my difficulty in 2 situations that I struggle with:
1) Coil: The inductance of a coil with N turns is known to be proportional to N2. My question is why is that true? I know that the H-field (and therefore the B-field) is proportional to N because the current of the coil is crossing the closed contour N times (from Ampere's Law). Then we calculate the magnetic flux and then multiply that flux by N to get the flux linkage. But why do we multiply the flux by N? Doesnt this flux that we calculated already taking into acount the contribution of all the N turns?

2) Infinitely long wire: Assume an infinitely long wire with radius r. The flux linkage inside the wire (i.e. x<r) is proprtional to the ratio of the areas ##\frac{\pi x^{2}}{\pi r^{2}}##. In my book it is explained that this can be thought of as a fractional turn and I do understand the logic behind it but I cannot find any rigorous mathematical proof the proves that the flux linkage is ##\lambda =\frac{\pi x^{2}}{\pi r^{2}}\varphi##. Can someone prove it or direct me to a source that proves it?

That's all for now :) Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) The inductance is by definition:

L = ψ / I
or to be more exact:
L = ψw / I , where ψw is the flux-winding-number (Ψ*N).

So as both ψ and ψw are proportional to N, the unductance L is propotional to N2. (That was a load of nonsense, but I hope you will understand it anyway).

Last edited:
Well I understand the math but failing to see why this is true physically. Flux linkage physically means the total amount of flux linking the N turns of the coil and is generally calculated as the sum of flux contribution of each turn. But when we calculate the flux we already taking into account the N turns of the coil while we solve Ampere's Law. So what is the physical meaning of multiplying this flux again by N?

SKo said:
Well I understand the math but failing to see why this is true physically. Flux linkage physically means the total amount of flux linking the N turns of the coil and is generally calculated as the sum of flux contribution of each turn. But when we calculate the flux we already taking into account the N turns of the coil while we solve Ampere's Law. So what is the physical meaning of multiplying this flux again by N?

Say you put an ac-current of 1A through a coil with 1 turn, and that due to frequency and dimension of the turn, an emf of 1V will be induced in the coil.

Now if you add another turn, so that you have two turns, then the flux will be doubled, and this doubled flux will pass through two turns, and an emf in the coil will be 4V, (double flux through double number of turns). The induced emf is proportional to dψw / dt.

1. What is flux linkage?

Flux linkage is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field that passes through a closed loop or coil. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Webers (Wb).

2. How is flux linkage related to electromagnetic induction?

Flux linkage is a crucial concept in understanding electromagnetic induction, which is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field passing through it. The amount of flux linkage determines the magnitude of the induced current.

3. Can you explain the difference between flux linkage and flux?

Flux linkage and flux are related but distinct concepts. Flux refers to the total amount of magnetic field passing through a surface, while flux linkage is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a specific loop or coil.

4. How is flux linkage calculated?

Flux linkage is calculated by multiplying the magnetic flux (Φ) passing through a loop or coil by the number of turns in the coil (N). This can be represented by the formula Ψ = NΦ.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding flux linkage?

Flux linkage is a fundamental concept in the design and operation of many electrical devices, including motors, generators, and transformers. It is also important in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and power systems. Understanding flux linkage allows scientists and engineers to accurately predict the behavior of these devices and optimize their performance.