Clarifying the Use of Integrating Factors in Exact Differential Equations

In summary, the author is discussing how to solve for the function ##μ##, which can be a function of either x or y only, depending on the integrating factor.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see the attached....
Relevant Equations
exact differential equations
I am looking at this and i would like some clarity...

1624842125642.png
at the step where "he let" ##μ_y##=0" Could we also use the approach, ##μ_x##=0"?
so that we now have,

##μ_y##M=μ(##N_{x} -M_{y})##... and so on, is this also correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: Kindly see the attached...
Relevant Equations:: exact differential equations

View attachment 285140at the step where "he let" ##μ_y##=0" Could we also use the approach, ##μ_x##=0"?
Since ##\mu = \mu(x)## is a function of x alone, its partial with respect to y must be zero.
No, it's not reasonable to assume that ##\mu_x## would be zero.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
Since ##\mu = \mu(x)## is a function of x alone, its partial with respect to y must be zero.
No, it's not reasonable to assume that ##\mu_x## would be zero.
i thought its indicated that ##μ## can be a function of ##x## or ##y## only? aaaaargh :cool: i have seen the condition...thanks Mark

chwala said:
at the step where "he let" ##μ_y##=0" Could we also use the approach, ##μ_x##=0"?
so that we now have,

##μ_y##M=μ(N_{x}## -M_{y})##... and so on, is this also correct?

Yeah, it's okay to try that! There might be an integrating factor ##\mu(x)##, or an integrating factor ##\tilde{\mu}(y)##, or even both. Or neither. :frown:

Likes chwala
ergospherical said:
Yeah, it's okay to try that! There might be an integrating factor ##\mu(x)##, or an integrating factor ##\tilde{\mu}(y)##, or even both. Or neither. :frown:
what do you mean by "even both"? i think that's wrong. It can only be one or the other. Not Both! By neither, you are implying that we are not able to find an integrating factor, which of course may be true.

chwala said:
what do you mean by "even both"? i think that's wrong. It can only be one or the other. Not Both!

Let's see! Let ##\omega = y dx - x dy##. Since ##\dfrac{1}{N} \left( \dfrac{\partial M}{\partial y}- \dfrac{\partial N}{\partial x}\right) = -\dfrac{2}{x}## is a function of ##x## only, there's an integrating factor of the form ##\mu(x)##. Write\begin{align*}
\dfrac{1}{\mu} \dfrac{d\mu}{dx} &= -\dfrac{2}{x} \\

\mu &= \dfrac{c}{x^2}
\end{align*}It's simplest to take ##c=1## and then you can check it works by noticing that ##\mu \omega = d\left( - \dfrac{y}{x} \right)##.

Also, ##-\dfrac{1}{M} \left( \dfrac{\partial M}{\partial y} - \dfrac{\partial N}{\partial x}\right) = -\dfrac{2}{y}## is a function of ##y## only, so there's also an integrating factor of the form ##\tilde{\mu}(y)##. Can you work out what it is? :smile:

The take away is that integrating factors are not unique.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: Kindly see the attached...
Relevant Equations:: exact differential equations

View attachment 285140at the step where "he let" ##μ_y##=0" Could we also use the approach, ##μ_x##=0"?
so that we now have,

##μ_y##M=μ(N_{x}## -M_{y})##... and so on, is this also correct?
this can be used too...dependant on whether we want to end up with a function of ##x## or ##y##, which is again dependant on the integrating factor being a 'function of ##x## or##y##'. In this attachment the integrating factor was given as a function of ##x##...thus no need to seek another way...

Generally ##\mu(x,y)## is an integrating factor if ##\mu \omega## is exact, but it's usually quite hard to solve the linear partial differential equation for ##\mu##. But there are sometimes special cases where you can find integrating factors depending on one variable only.

Likes chwala
ergospherical said:
Let's see! Let ##\omega = y dx - x dy##. Since ##\dfrac{1}{N} \left( M_y - N_x\right) = -\dfrac{2}{x}## is a function of ##x## only, there's an integrating factor of the form ##\mu(x)##. Write\begin{align*}

\mu &= \dfrac{c}{x^2}
\end{align*}It's simplest to take ##c=1## and then you can check it works by noticing that ##\mu \omega = d\left( - \dfrac{y}{x} \right)##.

Also, ##\dfrac{-1}{M} \left( M_y - N_x\right) = -\dfrac{2}{y}## is a function of ##y## only, so there's also an integrating factor of the form ##\tilde{\mu}(y)##. Can you work out what it is? :smile:

ergospherical said:
Generally ##\mu(x,y)## is an integrating factor if ##\mu \omega## is exact, but it's usually quite hard to solve the linear partial differential equation for ##\mu##. But there are sometimes special cases where you can find integrating factors depending on one variable only.
but this is a fact no dispute on this...

ergospherical said:
Let's see! Let ##\omega = y dx - x dy##. Since ##\dfrac{1}{N} \left( \dfrac{\partial M}{\partial y}- \dfrac{\partial N}{\partial x}\right) = -\dfrac{2}{x}## is a function of ##x## only, there's an integrating factor of the form ##\mu(x)##. Write\begin{align*}

\mu &= \dfrac{c}{x^2}

Also, ##-\dfrac{1}{M} \left( \dfrac{\partial M}{\partial y} - \dfrac{\partial N}{\partial x}\right) = -\dfrac{2}{y}## is a function of ##y## only, so there's also an integrating factor of the form ##\tilde{\mu}(y)##. Can you work out what it is? :smile:

i am trying to understand your approach...a bit confusing, this here is clear to me see attachment below:

1624846887831.png

ok i see that they are expressed differently...you brought the negative outside...but in both cases we are either treating the integrating factor solely as a function of ##x## or ##y##. Not both.

Looking at post ##6##, is it necessary to include the constant ##c## when determining the integrating factor when solving this kind of problems?

then letting ##c## = "to a certain value"? unless i am missing something...

i thought the integrating factor ##μ(x)## is simply equal to ##\frac {1}{x^2}##...

our brains are thinking differently:oldlaugh:...##c## the constant in your post is simply equal to ##1##...ok cheers mate :cool:

Last edited:

What is an exact differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of differential equation in which the solution can be found by using a mathematical technique called integration. It is called "exact" because the mathematical expression used to represent it has a precise and unambiguous meaning.

How do you solve an exact differential equation?

To solve an exact differential equation, you need to follow a specific set of steps. First, you need to check if the equation is exact by verifying if it meets certain criteria. Then, you need to find the integrating factor, which is a function that is used to transform the equation into an exact one. Finally, you can integrate both sides of the equation to find the solution.

What is the difference between an exact and an inexact differential equation?

The main difference between an exact and an inexact differential equation lies in their solutions. An exact differential equation has a solution that can be found by integration, while an inexact differential equation does not have a solution that can be found by integration alone. An inexact differential equation may require additional techniques or approximations to find a solution.

What are some real-life applications of exact differential equations?

Exact differential equations have many real-life applications, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and solve problems related to rates of change, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

What are the limitations of using exact differential equations?

Exact differential equations have some limitations, such as being applicable only to certain types of problems and requiring a high level of mathematical knowledge to solve. They may also not be able to accurately model complex systems or situations with constantly changing variables. In these cases, other mathematical techniques or approximations may be needed to find a solution.