Classical Analysis I, difficult inequality

In summary, the student is trying to solve the problem and has come up with an equivalent statement for the problem.
PingPong

Homework Statement

Let [tex]x,y\in R[/tex] such that [tex]x\leq y+\epsilon[/tex] for all [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]. Prove that [tex]x\leq y[/tex].

Homework Equations

None other than what's given in the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's obvious to me that it's true because I can pick some numbers [tex]x>y[/tex] so that the original inequality is not true for all [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. I've tried proof by contradiction, but it doesn't leave to any contradictions. For example, assuming that [tex]x>y[/tex], then I've come up with the following things:

1. [tex]y<x\leq y+\epsilon[/tex] or [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex] (this is okay from the assumptions in the problem)
  2. [tex]x+\epsilon>y+\epsilon\geq x[/tex] since [tex]x>y[/tex] and [tex]x\leq y+\epsilon[/tex] (this is okay since [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex])
  3. [tex]y-\epsilon<x-\epsilon\leq y[/tex] or [tex]y-\epsilon<y[/tex] (again okay from the assumptions of the problem).

I've also tried to write it in terms of quantifiers, negate it and prove the contrapositive, but I'm not at all sure what I'm doing since I've never formally covered it. I've come up with the following as an equivalent statement for the problem.

[tex]\forall x,y,\epsilon\in R, \epsilon>0 : x\leq y+\epsilon \Rightarrow x\leq y[/tex]

My attempt to negate it (which is probably wrong) is

[tex]\exists x,y,\epsilon\in R, \epsilon>0 : x\geq y+\epsilon\Rightarrow x>y[/tex].

Can anybody give me any help and/or let me know if I'm doing anything right? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If x > y then x - y > 0. You're quite free to choose epsilon in any manner you like.

Mathdope said:
If x > y then x - y > 0. You're quite free to choose epsilon in any manner you like.

Okay then, I can choose [tex]0<\epsilon<x-y[/tex] which implies [tex]y+\epsilon<x[/tex], a contradiction. But why is it that I can choose epsilon that way? I mean, am I not restricting epsilon to those such that that inequality holds? This goes against the fact that it is supposed to hold for any epsilon>0, right?

If x<=y, then you are done. So assume x>y. Pick epsilon=(x-y)/2. Now what?

PingPong said:
Okay then, I can choose [tex]0<\epsilon<x-y[/tex] which implies [tex]y+\epsilon<x[/tex], a contradiction. But why is it that I can choose epsilon that way? I mean, am I not restricting epsilon to those such that that inequality holds? This goes against the fact that it is supposed to hold for any epsilon>0, right?
Which is exactly why it is a contradiction. You are misinterpreting all to mean any. All means all, not just a select few. If some constraint is supposed to hold for all epsilon>0 but you can find even just one epsilon>0 then the constraint does not hold for all values. Contradiction.

The contradiction of the statement "for all p, q is true" is "for some p, q is not true".

Ah, okay! That makes more sense now. The difference between all, any, and some was a distinction that I hadn't quite made. Thanks for your help everybody!

1. What is Classical Analysis I?

Classical Analysis I is a branch of mathematical analysis that focuses on the study of real-valued functions and their properties.

2. What makes Classical Analysis I difficult?

Classical Analysis I can be difficult for some because it requires a strong understanding of calculus and mathematical proofs. It also involves complex concepts such as limits, continuity, and differentiability.

3. What is an inequality in Classical Analysis I?

In Classical Analysis I, an inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two values or quantities, where one is greater than, less than, or not equal to the other.

4. How does one solve a difficult inequality in Classical Analysis I?

Solving difficult inequalities in Classical Analysis I involves using various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and the properties of inequalities. It also requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think critically.

5. What are some real-world applications of Classical Analysis I?

Classical Analysis I has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, economics, and physics. It can be used to model and analyze various systems and phenomena, such as the behavior of markets, the motion of particles, and the flow of fluids.