Classical explanation of Photodissociation?

In summary, when an atom absorbs the energy of an incident photon, the electron can move to a higher orbit without ionizing the atom if the photon has less energy than the energy required to remove the electron. However, if the photon has more energy, the electron will leave the atom and the atom will be ionized. The absorbed energy is transformed into an excited state of the atom, which can be a higher-energy bound state, an ionized atom, or a disassociated molecule. It is difficult to explain this phenomenon without using quantum mechanics, as classical explanations are insufficient.
Justin Hawk
Can someone explain to me how an atom can absorb the energy of an incident photon without being ionised? What is the photon energy transformed into and how is it transferred between the photon and the atom (what part of the atom absorbs the energy?). I can't find anything helpful online - the resources I've managed to find are either too simplistic or far too complex. I'm hoping that this can be explained without a quantum mechanical treatment? I appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Justin Hawk said:
Can someone explain to me how an atom can absorb the energy of an incident photon without being ionised? What is the photon energy transformed into and how is it transferred between the photon and the atom (what part of the atom absorbs the energy?). I can't find anything helpful online - the resources I've managed to find are either too simplistic or far too complex. I'm hoping that this can be explained without a quantum mechanical treatment? I appreciate any help.

Let's take the hydrogen atom for the sake of simplicity. Say the atom isn't excited and thus the electron is on the first orbit. The electron needs about 13.6 eV to leave the atom. So if you "fire" a photon with less energy on the atom and the electron absorb it, the electron will just move to a further orbit (then the atom is excited and I think the electron will move to the first orbit again, emiting another photon in the process of changing of orbit). The atom in this case isn't ionized. However if you "fire" a photon with more than 13.6 eV and that the electron absorbs it, it will leave the atom and thus the atom will be ionized.

Since photons carry momentum, the atom, after absorbption of the photon will be left with a different momentum than before the absorbption.

I am not sure what would happen if a nucleous would absorb a photon though. My guess is that it will transfer momentum to the atom and nothing else special would occur, but I'll let experimented people talk. :)

An atom or a molecule can absorb energy, from a photon or from an electron or another atom or molecule, and be left in an excited state. Depending on how much energy is absorbed, that excited state could be a higher-energy bound state (electronic or vibrational or rotational), an ionized atom, or a disassociated molecule.

You can think of it as you absorbing energy from, say, the springs of a trampoline, and using it to rise up in the air; energy hasn't been created or destroyed, it's all still there but in a different form. Now you can fall back and transfer your gravitational potential energy back into spring energy, or into biological disassociative energy and heat if you splatter on the ground.

It doesn't make sense to talk about "how" the energy is transferred in a photon absorption, or what part of an atom absorbs energy - given an amount of absorbed energy, the result can be a variety of different excited states of the atom or molecule as a whole.

Once you say "photon" you've left the classical world, so it will be difficult to find a classical explanation. About the best you can say classically is that there are, for unknown reasons, stable configurations of electrons and protons and that the electrons can be shaken loose with electromagnetic waves. How much energy is required from the incident wave is unknown (because how the electrons maintain a stable state is also unknown). To get to a "photon" of energy classically requires unrealistically strong em waves.

Photodissociation, also known as photolysis, is a process in which a molecule breaks apart into smaller fragments upon absorption of a photon. This process is commonly observed in the Earth's atmosphere, where ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun can cause molecules such as ozone (O3) to dissociate into oxygen (O2) and an oxygen atom (O).

In order for photodissociation to occur, the molecule must absorb a photon with enough energy to overcome the bond energy holding the atoms together. This energy is typically in the UV or visible range, as these wavelengths have higher energy compared to infrared or microwave radiation.

When a photon is absorbed by a molecule, its energy is transferred to the molecule's electrons. This causes the electrons to become excited and move to higher energy levels. However, the energy of the photon may not be enough to completely ionize the molecule (remove an electron completely), but it is enough to break the bond between the atoms.

The bond-breaking process involves the transfer of energy between the photon and the molecule. The photon's energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the atoms to vibrate and eventually break apart. This process is similar to stretching a rubber band until it snaps - the energy is stored in the stretched band and is released when it breaks.

The specific part of the molecule that absorbs the photon's energy depends on the molecule's electronic structure. In general, the electrons in the outermost energy levels (valence electrons) are responsible for absorbing photons and initiating bond-breaking. This is because these electrons are more loosely bound to the atom and can easily absorb the energy of a photon to become excited.

Overall, photodissociation is a complex process that involves the absorption and transfer of energy between a photon and a molecule. While a full quantum mechanical treatment is required for a detailed understanding, the basic principles can be explained without it. I hope this helps to clarify the classical explanation of photodissociation.

1. What is the classical explanation of photodissociation?

The classical explanation of photodissociation is a process in which a molecule is broken down into smaller fragments due to absorption of light energy. This process is typically studied in gases or liquids, where the molecules are more widely separated and can absorb light energy more easily.

2. How does photodissociation occur?

Photodissociation occurs when a photon of light interacts with a molecule, causing the molecule to become excited and break apart into smaller fragments. This process is driven by the energy of the photon and the specific chemical bonds within the molecule.

3. What factors affect the rate of photodissociation?

The rate of photodissociation is affected by several factors, including the intensity and wavelength of the incident light, the chemical properties of the molecule, and the presence of any catalysts or inhibitors. Additionally, the temperature and pressure of the environment can also impact the rate of photodissociation.

4. How is the classical explanation of photodissociation different from the quantum mechanical explanation?

The classical explanation of photodissociation is based on classical mechanics, which describes the behavior of macroscopic objects. In contrast, the quantum mechanical explanation takes into account the wave-like nature of particles, such as photons and molecules, and their interactions at the atomic and subatomic level. While the classical explanation can provide a general understanding of photodissociation, the quantum mechanical explanation is more precise and accurate.

5. What are some real-world applications of photodissociation?

Photodissociation has many important applications in fields such as atmospheric chemistry, photochemistry, and materials science. It is used in processes such as ozone depletion, photosynthesis, and photolithography. Additionally, photodissociation is also used in the development of new materials, such as photovoltaic cells and optical switches.