Classical mechanics equation of motion

In summary: Yes, the integral of a function corresponds to the area of the surface enclosed by the function, the x-axis and 2 vertical lines at each limit.
shyta

Homework Statement

A point mass m moving along the z axis experiences a time dependent force and a fricitional force. Solve the equation of motion

m[itex]\ddot{z}[/itex] = -m[itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]\dot{z}[/itex] + F(t)

to find v(t) = [itex]\dot{z}[/itex](t) for the initial velocity [itex]\dot{z}[/itex](0) = v_0
Hint: what is the time derivative of [itex]e^{\gamma t}[/itex]v(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I made use of the hint and got [itex]e^{\gamma t}[/itex] ([itex]\ddot{z}[/itex](t) + [itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]\dot{z}[/itex](t) )

Manipulating the equation of motion, I got [itex]e^{\gamma t}[/itex] ([itex]\ddot{z}[/itex](t) + [itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]\dot{z}[/itex](t) ) = [itex]e^{\gamma t}[/itex] 1/m F(t)

Subbing in the hint and integrating: [itex]\dot{z}[/itex](t) = [itex]e^{-\gamma t}[/itex]/m [itex]\int[/itex] [itex]e^{\gamma t}[/itex] F(t) dt

Just wondering if this is correct? and how do I make use of the initial condition v_0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again shyta!

Yes, that is correct. Good! :smile:

As for the initial condition.
What do you get if you substitute t=0 in your final formula?

Omg hi iloveserena again hahaha

For [itex]\dot{z}[/itex](t) = [itex]e^{-\gamma t}[/itex]/m [itex]\int[/itex] [itex]e^{\gamma t}[/itex] F(t) dt

v_0 = 1/m [itex]\int[/itex] [itex]e^{\gamma t}[/itex] F(t) dt

This is the part I'm stuck at, I'm not sure what to do with the integration function :(

Well, let me rewrite if for you again:
[tex]\dot z(t) = {e^{−γt} \over m} \int_0^t e^{γT} F(T) dT + C[/tex]

I've also added the integration constant C that vanishes when you take the derivative.
Can you substitute t=0 in this?

I like Serena said:
[tex]\dot z(t) = {e^{−γt} \over m} \int_0^t e^{γT} F(T) dT + C[/tex]

mmm..

[tex]\dot z(0) = {1 \over m} \int_0^0 e^{γT} F(T) dT + C[/tex]

I really have no clue on this part :S

Did you know that the integral of a function corresponds to the area of the surface enclosed by the function, the x-axis and 2 vertical lines at each limit?

In other words, suppose F(x) is the anti-derivative of f(x), what is:
[tex]\int_a^a f(x) dx[/tex]

Hey wait! integration of 0 to 0 for any function is 0 right? so v_0 = C :O

hahah yes! omg how could I not see that!

Yes, that's exactly it! :rolleyes:

thanks once again :D

Related to Classical mechanics equation of motion

1. What is the equation of motion in classical mechanics?

The equation of motion in classical mechanics is Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. This can be written as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How is the equation of motion used in classical mechanics?

The equation of motion is used to predict the motion of objects based on the forces acting upon them. It can be used to calculate the acceleration of an object, or to find the net force acting on an object given its mass and acceleration.

3. Are there any limitations to the equation of motion in classical mechanics?

Yes, the equation of motion is only applicable to objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light. It also does not account for relativistic effects or quantum mechanics, and it assumes that all forces are constant and acting in a single direction.

4. How does the equation of motion relate to other laws of classical mechanics?

The equation of motion is closely related to other fundamental laws of classical mechanics, such as Newton's first and third laws. It also forms the basis for other important equations, such as the work-energy theorem and the impulse-momentum theorem.

5. Can the equation of motion be applied to systems with multiple objects?

Yes, the equation of motion can be applied to systems with multiple objects by considering the net force and acceleration of the entire system. The individual forces acting on each object can be added together to calculate the net force, and the total mass of the system can be used to calculate the acceleration.