1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics: Lagrangian of a falling yo-yo

1. Feb 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform circular cylinder (a yo-yo) of radius a and mass M has a string wrapped around
    it that can unwind without slipping. The yo-yo moves in a vertical straight line and the
    straight part of the string is vertical as well. The other end of the string is fastened to a
    support that has upward displacment h(t) at time t. Here h(t) is a prescribed function, not
    a degree of freedom.
    a. Take the rotation angle φ of the yo-yo as a generalized coordinate and find Lagrange’s equation.
    b. Find the acceleration of the yo-yo. What must the support’s acceleration h(t) be so
    that the centre of the yo-yo can remain at rest?
    c. Suppose the system starts from rest. Find an expression for the total energy E = T+V at time t, in terms of h and h.

2. Relevant equations
    L=T-V
    T=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]M[tex]\dot{y}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]I[tex]\dot{\varphi}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]
    Defining downwards as my positive direction: V=-Mgy
    Rolling without slipping ---> a[tex]\dot{\varphi}[/tex]=[tex]\dot{y}[/tex]
    Since the support is moving upwards given by (h(t)) ---> y=[tex]\widetilde{y}[/tex]-h(t) where [tex]\widetilde{y}[/tex]= the distance between the yo-yo and the support at time t. So, [tex]\dot{y}[/tex]=[tex]\dot{\widetilde{y}}[/tex]-[tex]\dot{h(t)}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    With these equations and treating [tex]\varphi[/tex] as my generalized coordinate, it's easy to obtain the Lagrange's equation of motion for this system. I get [tex]\dot{}\dot{\varphi}[/tex]=2/3*g/a

Now for part b) of the question, I have [tex]\dot{}\dot{y}[/tex]=[tex]\dot{}\dot{h}[/tex]. If this is correct, I can figure this out using the without slipping equation above.
    From here on before starting part c), I am wondering why the Lagrange's equation I got is independent of h(t) (i.e its the same as if the support was fixed). And if its wrong, it has to do something with the relation between y and h(t). Any help is apprecaited
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?