Classical mechanics textbook question [Indian edition?]

In summary, the conversation discusses receiving a copy of "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow, which turns out to be the "special Indian edition." The person is disappointed and considering returning it, but wants to know if the material is different from the North American version. The expert provides information that editions edited by professors of a specific country may have slight differences in content, but are generally the same. They suggest using the US or International edition if possible.
jimmyly
Hello, so i just received a copy of introduction to classical mechanics by kleppner and kolenkow in the mail today. I was so excited unwrapping it but when i saw it i was very disspointed. it turns out the person sent me the "special indian edition". i was pretty upset and I'm thinking of returning it. But before i do i want to know if anyone has this version of the book and if it is any different than the north american version. its in english, and SI units. but i don't know if the material is different or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Country wise Editions is edited by Professors of that country for being suitable for their Universities. All editions is slightly different but contents is very same. If it is for Self-Study then continue with it but if you can get the Returns then use US edition or International Edition.

1. What topics are covered in a classical mechanics textbook?

A classical mechanics textbook typically covers topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work, energy, momentum, rotational motion, and oscillations.

2. Is there a difference between an Indian edition and a regular edition of a classical mechanics textbook?

Yes, there can be slight differences in the examples and exercises used in an Indian edition compared to a regular edition. The content and concepts, however, remain the same.

3. Are there any recommended classical mechanics textbooks specifically for Indian students?

Yes, there are various textbooks written by Indian authors that are recommended for Indian students, such as "Classical Mechanics" by Rana and Joag, and "Mechanics" by D.S. Mathur.

4. Can a classical mechanics textbook be used for self-study?

Yes, a classical mechanics textbook can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to have a solid foundation in mathematics and basic physics concepts before attempting to study classical mechanics on your own.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a classical mechanics textbook?

Yes, there are various online resources such as video lectures, practice problems, and simulations that can supplement the content in a classical mechanics textbook. Some recommended websites are Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom.