Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clintons as Presidents, Hillary incapacitated

1. Mar 15, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So I was wondering something. If Hillary becomes President and Bill is her vice president and first lady :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, 1) would US law allow such a thing to happend 2) what happens if Hillary becomes unable to perform her duties as president (dies, surgery, injured, resignation, etc)? Since Bill Clinton has already been President twice, is he still allowed to take the position temporarily or would they skip him when finding a new acting President?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2006 #2
    The applicable constitutional amendment says

"...No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once..."

So, assuming the unfathomable happened, then there is no constitutional basis for not allowing Bill to succeed Hillary. He just can't be elected to the Office of President anymore.

Edited to Add: But you can almost guarantee that Republicans would probably challenge it as unconstitutional, considering the hatred many have for him.

4. Mar 15, 2006 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Electors can't vote for both a President and a Vice-President from their own state (12th Amendment). So long as they don't live together as New York residents (a large number of electoral votes to give up), there's no problem.

Well, except for the Presidential Succession Act of 1947. To avoid a potential Constitutional crisis, those ineligible to hold the office of President are skipped over.

That still doesn't specifically address the "No person shall be elected... " part of Amendment 22, but the "and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term" of the 22nd Amendment almost seems to imply that the Amendment would normally restrict who could even serve as "Acting President".

It would be a really bad idea to have Bill Clinton as VP. If Hillary died (or were otherwise "unable to discharge the powers and duties of office") and you had a Republican controlled House, we'd be right back to having the US Supreme Court decide who would be President.

5. Mar 15, 2006 #4
    He is always called Mr. President. Even if you meet him today, you say hello, "Mr. President."

6. Mar 15, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Always with nothing to contribute to my threads eh cyrusabdollahi :rofl:

7. Mar 15, 2006 #6
    I aim to please :wink:

8. Mar 15, 2006 #7
    It would funny if Bill Clinton is Hillary clintons vp and they get divorce while in office.:rofl:

9. Mar 15, 2006 #8
    Even if I met our current president I think I would still call him Georgie Porgie. And I might call Cheney Dick.
    Clinton... maybe Willy.

10. Mar 15, 2006 #9

Thats the single dumbest idea I've heard all week.

11. Mar 15, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Mar 16, 2006 #11

What about Chelsea?

13. Mar 16, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's your VP! :biggrin:

14. Mar 16, 2006 #13

Mother-daughter.......:eek:

15. Mar 16, 2006 #14
    Please, why not dick cheneys daughter :rofl: Double whammy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?