Help Understanding Circuit Requirements for Conducting Diode

In summary, Jim is discussing a circuit and how to find the minimum voltage input at point X for the diode to conduct. He questions the right hand side of the equation, which adds instead of subtracts 0.6 from -10V. However, Jim's intuition is correct and it should be subtracted. He suggests using KVL to confirm intuition.
zsolt2
Hi all. I need some help with the circuit attached.
For the diode to conduct, at point X the voltage must be 0.6V minimum. There is an equation to find the minimum required voltage input, Vin to give 0.6V at X. What I don't understand is the right hand side of the equation; why is it:
(0.6-(-10))/2.2x10^3
why subtract 10 out of 0.6 and not the other way around? I understand that ((Vin-0.6)/10^3) is the current developed in the 1k resistor and (0.6-(-10))/2.2x10^3 is the current in the 2.2k resistor. So the 0.6V is comming from the 1k towards the diode and the 2.2k resistor where it meets with -10V. Shouldn't the 0.6 be subtracted from the -10V then?
what I thought is that it supposed to be:
((Vin-0.6)/10^3) + (-10-0.6)/2.2x10^3
((Vin-0.6)/10^3) + -10.6/2.2x10^3
((Vin-0.6)/10^3) - 10.6/2.2x10^3
((Vin-0.6)/10^3) = 10.6/2.2x10^3

It will give the same result as the equation provided. Can you explain the circuit a bit and that where did I go wrong?
Thank you!

Attachments

• diode.PNG
    diode.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 348
Engineering news on Phys.org
zsolt2 said:
What I don't understand is the right hand side of the equation; why is it:
(0.6-(-10))/2.2x10^3

Always go back to your basics
draw in currents and polarities then write KVL

KVLdemo .jpg

Attachments

• KVLdemo .jpg
    KVLdemo .jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 439
zsolt2 said:
What I don't understand is the right hand side of the equation; why is it:
(0.6-(-10))/2.2x10^3

upload_2018-12-28_14-41-55.png

looks to me like an addition not a subtraction
and i think that's what you said
zsolt2 said:
Shouldn't the 0.6 be subtracted from the -10V then?

Your intuition was right
form the habit of confirming your intuition with KVL

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-28_14-41-55.png
    upload_2018-12-28_14-41-55.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 378
Thank you Jim!

Likes jim hardy

Related to Help Understanding Circuit Requirements for Conducting Diode

1. What is a diode?

A diode is a two-terminal electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is made of a semiconductor material, usually silicon, and has a positive and a negative terminal called the anode and the cathode, respectively.

2. Why is it important to understand circuit requirements for conducting a diode?

A diode has specific electrical characteristics that need to be considered when designing a circuit. Understanding the circuit requirements for a diode will ensure that it is used in the correct way and will prevent any damage or malfunction in the circuit.

3. What are the circuit requirements for conducting a diode?

The main circuit requirements for conducting a diode include the maximum forward current, maximum reverse voltage, and the diode's forward voltage drop. Other factors to consider are the diode's power dissipation, switching speed, and temperature range.

4. How do I determine the circuit requirements for a diode?

The circuit requirements for a diode can be found in its datasheet, which provides detailed information about its electrical characteristics. It is important to select a diode with suitable ratings for the specific circuit requirements and to consider any potential variations in operating conditions.

5. What happens if the circuit requirements for a diode are not met?

If the circuit requirements for a diode are not met, it can result in the diode being damaged or destroyed. This can lead to malfunctions in the circuit or even cause a short circuit, which can be dangerous. It is important to always ensure that the diode's circuit requirements are met to ensure safe and proper operation.