Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed ball is manifold with boundary

1. Mar 22, 2014 #1
    I've been trying to prove that the closed unit ball is a manifold with boudnary, using the stereographic projection but I cannot seem to be able to get any progress. Can anyone give me a hint on how to prove it? Thanks in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is a homework-style problem. But since this is grad mathematics, I'll allow it here. I do ask of the people who answer not to give complete answers, like with any homework problem.

Anyway, consider the closed unit ball ##B## of ##\mathbb{R}^n##. Consider the ##n##-sphere ##S^n##. Consider the stereographic projection ##\sigma:S^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n##. Can you give a formula for the stereographic projection and its inverse? Can you verify it is continuous.

Then, what can you say about ##\sigma^{-1}(B)##. It is a part of the ##n##-sphere ##S^n##, but can you describe which part it is?

Charts can then be found by composing ##\sigma^{-1}## with the projections ##\pi:\mathbb{R}^{n+1}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n## which leave some coordinate. Can you show that ##\pi\circ \sigma^{-1}## are continuous? Can you describe these things explicitely? Can you tell what the right codomain is? Etc.

4. Mar 22, 2014 #3
    Thanks! I was stuck in σ^−1(B) for no reason. xD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook