Closing distances at rates greater than c

• I
  • Thread starter clm222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the question is asking if the meeting time for two spaceships traveling towards each other at 0.6c can be calculated by dividing the distance by 1.2c. The answer is yes, as each ship will see the other moving at less than c, but the closure rate will be 1.2c.
clm222
Hi, I just have a brief, logistical question.

If I have, say, two spaceships traveling towards each other at 0.6c each (from my rest frame), can I calculate the meeting time in my rest frame as the distance divided by 1.2c? I'm not saying either ship is actually going this speed, just that the distance is being closed at this rate of 1.2c.

Is this reasoning valid? If not, how do I calculate the time for these two to meet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Each ship will, as you say, see the other moving at less than c. But you measure the closure rate to be 1.2c.

FAQ: Closing distances at rates greater than c

What is "Closing distances at rates greater than c"?

"Closing distances at rates greater than c" refers to the concept of objects moving towards each other at speeds faster than the speed of light. This idea goes against the theory of relativity and is currently considered impossible.

Why is it impossible to close distances at rates greater than c?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe. This speed is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second and cannot be exceeded. Therefore, it is impossible to close distances at rates greater than c.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that anything can travel faster than the speed of light. The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and has not been disproven. However, there are theories such as wormholes and the Alcubierre drive that propose ways to theoretically travel faster than the speed of light, but they are still highly speculative.

What would happen if an object could travel faster than the speed of light?

If an object could travel faster than the speed of light, it would defy the laws of physics as we know them. It would also violate causality, meaning that effects could occur before their causes. This would lead to logical inconsistencies and paradoxes, making it highly unlikely that an object could travel faster than the speed of light.

Is there any scientific evidence of objects closing distances at rates greater than c?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of objects closing distances at rates greater than c. All experiments and observations have shown that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which objects can travel in the universe. Any claims of objects traveling faster than the speed of light have been debunked or explained by other phenomena.

Back