Solving Cylinder Problem: Calculate Work Done in KJ

• Thread starter defineNormal
  • Start date
In summary, an ideal gas is expanding from a initial pressure of 150kPa to a final volume of 0.2m. The work done is 22.5kPa.
defineNormal
Hello I am having trouble with this problem I was wondering if anyone could help me out here goes,

During some actual expansion and compression process in piston-cylinder devices, the gases are observed to satisfy the relationship PV=C, where n and C are constants. Calculate the work done in KJ when gas expands from 150kPa and 0.03m to a final volume of 0.2m for the case of n = 1.3.

Ok I understand that P1 = 150kpa and V1 = 0.03m and V2 = 0.2m when I try to solve for P2 using P1V1=P2V2 I get 22.5kPa but it doesn't make sense because its expanding and I'm not sure how to incorporate n into the problem, also I am confused as to finding the work done? can anyone hint me in the right direction? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the problem indicate if it is an adiabatic process?

Did you mean to writne [tex]PV^n= C [/tex] instead?

CS

no it does not state that it is an adiabatic, I considered that formula but I'm not sure as to how I would use it because there is a beginning volume and an ending volume. I'm still pretty confused it has been a while since Thermo I this is just a review for Thermo II. I appreciate the help thanks!

You really need to know the process by which the final state of the gas is obtained, however since you don't know that, let's assume it is isothermal.

The general equation for work done by an ideal gas is...

[tex] W = \int_{V_i}^{V_f} PdV [/tex]

The equation of state for an ideal gas is...

[tex]PV = nRT[/tex], which once rearranged gives [tex]P = \frac{nRT}{V} [/tex].

So the work becomes...

[tex] W = \int_{V_i}^{V_f} \frac{nRT}{V}dV [/tex]

Since this is isothermal [tex]nRT[/tex] is constant, which then gives...

[tex] W = nRT \int_{V_i}^{V_f} \frac{dV}{V} [/tex]

After integrating and using a log identity you have...

[tex] W = nRT \cdot \ln \frac{V_f}{V_i} [/tex]

If it is not isothermal then of course the work will be different. Let me know if it is not isothermal.

Hope that helps...

CS

it doesn't state that is isothermal ho it is written above is exactly how the problem is written, but I will attempt it that way thank you.

FAQ: Solving Cylinder Problem: Calculate Work Done in KJ

1. What is a cylinder problem?

A cylinder problem involves finding the work done by a gas contained in a cylinder, given its pressure, volume, and change in height. This is often used to calculate the efficiency of engines and other machines.

2. How do you calculate work done in KJ for a cylinder problem?

The formula for calculating work done in KJ is: work (in KJ) = pressure (in kPa) x volume change (in m^3) x 1000. This formula assumes that the gas behaves ideally and that the pressure and volume are constant.

3. What units are used for pressure and volume in a cylinder problem?

Pressure is typically measured in kilopascals (kPa) or atmospheres (atm), while volume is measured in cubic meters (m^3). The units used will depend on the specific problem and may need to be converted to match the formula.

4. How does the change in height factor into the calculation of work done?

The change in height is used to calculate the change in volume of the gas. This is done by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the cylinder by the change in height. The resulting volume change is then used in the formula for work done.

5. Can work done in a cylinder problem be negative?

Yes, work done can be negative in a cylinder problem. This occurs when the gas is compressed, resulting in a decrease in volume. In this case, the work done by the gas is considered negative because it is acting against the external force compressing it.

Back