1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coeffecient of train and the tracks?

1. Dec 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the coefficient of friction between the train and the track, given that the train has 20,000 kg and is going at velocity of 26m/s. Note that when the train conductor saw a pedestrian he started braking and also the distance between the pedestrian to the train is 500m
    Other given information:
    X= 500m
    A= -.676 ( because he was stopping the train)
    braking force is -13520 N

2. Relevant equations
    μkN=Fk

N means normal force in this case

3. The attempt at a solution
    So at first I tried using the simple friction formula and tried isolating the coefficient of friction so that i would have ----------- μ=Nf---------- but i have everything except friction force. So i then thought from that I thought i can just divide a and m to get the force, which in turn is the friction force. Overall i am not sure if this is correct because i thought you can just divide the breaking force and the mass for the friction force. It's either one or the other, although i am not completely sure :))))

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2
    In this problem, it's more about the Work done to the train to get it to come to a halt. First they give you the train's mass and velocity.
    (Remember: Kinetic Energy http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1418868535/render.png [Broken] )

If we look at the the energy of the system, it goes to zero. As you've said before, there is a frictional force which acts on the system. This (frictional) Work must then equal the Kinetic Energy lost when braking the train.

Also, Work is equal to the force applied over a distance http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1418868266/render.png [Broken] .

I hope this helps point you in the right direction :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Dec 17, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The braking force you (correctly) calculated is the friction force.

5. Dec 17, 2014 #4
    Thank you for everybody that answered, I get it now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted