Coefficient of Friction of a baseball player

1. Question:
    A baseball player slides into third base with an initial speed of 8.35 m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the player and the ground is 0.36, how far does the player slide before coming to rest?

How would I start this problem?? I would use Ff=uFn but it doesn't even give the weight of the player..
    And would I have to use one of the kinematics problems to find the distance? If so, how would I find acceleration or final velocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Hootenanny

Hootenanny 9,678
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps you don't need the mass, try using Newton's second law and see what happens :wink:. And yes, kinematic equations (after using Newton's second law) sounds like a good idea.

4. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,682
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, just write "mg" for the weight of the player and hope the "m" cancels out!

5. How could I use Newton's second law of motion without knowing what any of the variables stand for?

6. Hootenanny

Hootenanny 9,678
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure you do know what the variables stand for. Start by writing out Newton's second law and filling in any information that you know.

7. I got it! Thank you guys so much for helping!! :biggrin:

8. Hootenanny

Hootenanny 9,678
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No problem, we didn't really do much anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?