Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Coefficient of kinetic friction between the chair and the waxed floor?

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1
    A woman finds herself in a very odd contraption. She sits in a reclining chair, on a freshly waxed floor, in front of a large, compressed spring. The spring is compressed 5.00 m from its equilibrium position, and a glass sits 19.8 m from her outstretched foot.
    Assuming the woman's mass is 60.0 kg, what is the u_k , the coefficient of kinetic friction between the chair and the waxed floor? Use 9.80 m/s^2 for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

I've already found k which was 95.0 N/m...but I don't know where togo from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2
    Sorry, can't fancy the situation

4. Nov 23, 2004 #3

ek

Yep, that question is f'd.

What does the glass have to do with anything?

Is she the one compressing the spring?

I think the questiion needs a better description.

5. Nov 23, 2004 #4
    the glass had to do with this problem: For what value of the spring constant k does the woman just reach the glass without knocking it over?

6. Nov 23, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your original statement of the problem must be incomplete. How did you calculate the spring constant?

7. Nov 24, 2004 #6
    I used an applet provided by mastering physics

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook