1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of kinetic friction between the chair and the waxed floor?

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1
    A woman finds herself in a very odd contraption. She sits in a reclining chair, on a freshly waxed floor, in front of a large, compressed spring. The spring is compressed 5.00 m from its equilibrium position, and a glass sits 19.8 m from her outstretched foot.
    Assuming the woman's mass is 60.0 kg, what is the u_k , the coefficient of kinetic friction between the chair and the waxed floor? Use 9.80 m/s^2 for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

I've already found k which was 95.0 N/m...but I don't know where togo from here.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2
    Sorry, can't fancy the situation
  4. Nov 23, 2004 #3

Yep, that question is f'd.

What does the glass have to do with anything?

Is she the one compressing the spring?

I think the questiion needs a better description.
  5. Nov 23, 2004 #4
    the glass had to do with this problem: For what value of the spring constant k does the woman just reach the glass without knocking it over?
  6. Nov 23, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your original statement of the problem must be incomplete. How did you calculate the spring constant?
  7. Nov 24, 2004 #6
    I used an applet provided by mastering physics
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?