Coefficient of kinetic friction, need today

In summary: Again, use \SigmaF = ma and solve for T. Your answer looks good.In summary, the system shown in the figure has an acceleration of 0.51 m/s2, with masses m1 = 4.30 kg and m2 = 6.00 kg and incline angles of 35 degrees. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and incline is found to be 0.63668. The tension in the string is calculated to be 26.36 N.
an9890
coefficient of kinetic friction, URGENT need today

The system shown in the figure below has an acceleration of magnitude 0.51 m/s2, where m1 =
4.30 kg and m2 = 6.00 kg. Assume that the coefficient of kinetic
friction between block and incline is the same for both inclines.

Link to figure:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3437/figureyh.jpg
m1 is box on the left, m2 is box on the right. both angles are 35 degrees. a) find the coefficient of kinetic friction

Here's what I tried:
coefficient of kinetic friction = (gsinΘ - a) / gcos Θ
and got .63668

when i input my answer in the system said "your answer differs from the correct answer by orders of magnitude."

b) find the tension in the string
T= m1a + m1gsinΘ
= 26.36 N

system said "your answer differs by 10% of correct answer..."Please help. I need this by tonight. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Let's start with the basics. What equation of motion (i.e. [tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = ma) did you use for each mass?

^

(a)
∑ Fx = ma --> mgsinΘ - fk = ma
∑ Fy = 0 --> n - mgcosΘ = 0
n = mgcosΘ
and fk = mukn

so muk = (gsinΘ -a) / gcos Θ

∑ Fx = ma --> mgsinΘ - fk = ma

I presume that's for m2. But, you forgot the force of the tension. Also, you need a similar equation for m1. You'll then have two equations in two unknowns (T and mu) that can be solved by substitution.

Last edited:

As a scientist, it is important to always double check your equations and calculations to ensure accuracy. In this case, it seems like there may be a mistake in your calculation for the coefficient of kinetic friction. The correct equation for this situation is μk = (m2g - m1a) / (m1gcosΘ + m2gsinΘ). When plugging in the given values, the coefficient of kinetic friction should be 0.313.

For the tension in the string, your calculation is correct. However, it is always important to pay attention to significant figures and round your answer accordingly. In this case, the tension should be rounded to 26.4 N.

As for the urgency of this problem, it is important to prioritize accuracy over speed. Rushing through calculations can lead to mistakes and incorrect results. It is always best to take your time and ensure that your answers are correct. I recommend reviewing the equations and double checking your calculations before submitting your final answer.

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction, denoted as μk, is a dimensionless quantity that measures the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact when there is relative motion between them.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to keep an object in motion at a constant speed.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the type of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. It also varies with temperature and can be affected by the speed of motion between the two surfaces.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction measures the resistance between two surfaces in motion, while static friction measures the resistance between two surfaces at rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction is typically lower than the coefficient of static friction.

5. Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. It is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science to design and optimize systems and to ensure safety in various applications.