Coefficient of kinetic friction of force sensor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
map7s
Messages
145
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A force sensor is used to measure a force applied to a 8.2 kg box on a hard, horizontal surface. It records that the box starts to move when the force is equal to 20.7 N. This force makes the box start to move with an acceleration of 0.4 m/s2. Find s and k respectively.


Homework Equations



f s=mu s*N
f k=mu k*N

The Attempt at a Solution



I found out what mu s was, but I am having trouble finding out mu k. I tried F=mg*mu k and ma=mg*mu k. Is there another way to go about solving this part of the problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Set the net force equal to ma. (Two horizontal forces act on the box.)