Coefficient of kinetic friction on car

In summary, the car has an acceleration of 5 m/s^2 due to a net force of 2500 N, and the friction force between the car and the tow truck is 1000 N.
unknownfrost
Ok here is my situation. There is a problem that states:

Find the friction force if the acceleration of a 500 kg car being towed on a flat surface is 5 m/s2 and a tow truck is pulling with a force of 3550 N.

I do not where to go from here. Furthermore, the next question asks:

What would the coefficient of kinetic friction be?

If someone could help me out with this I would be extremely thankful!

This has got me going :eek: and :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
First, notice that, according to Newtons 2nd law, if the net force on the truck were to be 3550 N, the acceleration of the truck would be:
[tex]a=\frac{F}{m}=\frac{3550}{500}=7.1 m/s^2[/tex]
So the frictional force is of that magnitude to bring the acceleration down to [itex]5 m/s^2[/itex].
Can you find the force needed to do this?
(There's a slightly quicker way. But I find this more instructive)

Well...
I know that f = (mk)(n)
Would I use the 3500 from earlier and take mk = f/n to get the coeff. of kinetic?

its a simple force diagram

ma = (Force tow truck) - Friction

(500kg)(5m/s^2) = 3500 N - uN
2500 N - 3500 N = -1000 = -umg

1000 N/((500kg)(9.81 m/s^2)) = u = 0.220 < friction coffecient

Phymath said:
its a simple force diagram

ma = (Force tow truck) - Friction

(500kg)(5m/s^2) = 3500 N - uN
2500 N - 3500 N = -1000 = -umg

1000 N/((500kg)(9.81 m/s^2)) = u = 0.220 < friction coffecient

ok I'm with you on the 3500 part, but where did you get the 2500 from?

I understand now how to plug it in. i just don't know how you got it!

I could just take the awnser but I am totally lost on the awnser!
Physics is tough man!

Last edited:
Think about it like this.
You are given that a 500 kg object has an acceleration of 5 m/s^2.
Then Newton's law says: "Aha, it accelerates. So there must be a net force acting on it."
This net force is equal to its mass times its acceleration: [itex]F=ma=500 \cdot 5 = 2500 N[/itex].
So the net force on the car is 2500 N. Since the tow truck is pulling with a force of 3550 N, something must be exerting a force in the other direction (which is the force of friction). Can you take it from here?

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction on a car?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a car is a measure of the resistance to motion between the car's tires and the road surface. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the force required to keep the car moving at a constant speed to the normal force between the car's tires and the road.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction on a car determined?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a car is typically determined through experiments in which the car is driven at a constant speed on different surfaces with known coefficients of friction. The data collected from these experiments is then used to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction on the car.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of kinetic friction on a car?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a car can be affected by several factors including the type of tire and tread pattern, the condition of the road surface, and the weight and speed of the car. The coefficient of kinetic friction can also vary depending on the temperature and humidity of the environment.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction on a car affect its performance?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a car plays a crucial role in its performance. A higher coefficient of friction means that more force is required to keep the car moving at a constant speed, resulting in decreased acceleration and braking performance. A lower coefficient of friction, on the other hand, allows for better handling and control of the car.

5. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction on a car be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction on a car can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, choosing tires with a different tread pattern or increasing the weight of the car can both affect the coefficient of friction. However, the coefficient of kinetic friction of the road surface itself cannot be changed, and it is important for drivers to take this into consideration when driving in different weather conditions.