Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Coefficient of Kinetic Friction physics

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Physics problem - coefficient of friction? Bonnie and Clyde are sliding a 300 kg bank safe across the floor to their getaway car. The safe slides with a constant speed if Clyde pushes from behind with 385 N of force while Bonnie pulls foward on a rope with 350N of force. What is the safe's coefficient of kinetic friction of the bank floor?

2. Relevant equations
    I'm guessing f=ma?

3. The attempt at a solution

2.0x10? What I did was use the formula and drew out the picture and tried to solve the problem. I ended up getting confused on which formula to use and how to go about solving it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2
    Nope, that's not the correct formula. How would you find the coefficient of friction using a formula that doesn't even mention the coefficient of friction? There's a formula for the force due to friction that has something to do with the coefficient of friction. Look for that formula. Also, the problem mentions "constant velocity" - what do you know about constant velocity?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook