1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Kinetic Friction physics

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Physics problem - coefficient of friction? Bonnie and Clyde are sliding a 300 kg bank safe across the floor to their getaway car. The safe slides with a constant speed if Clyde pushes from behind with 385 N of force while Bonnie pulls foward on a rope with 350N of force. What is the safe's coefficient of kinetic friction of the bank floor?

2. Relevant equations
    I'm guessing f=ma?

3. The attempt at a solution

2.0x10? What I did was use the formula and drew out the picture and tried to solve the problem. I ended up getting confused on which formula to use and how to go about solving it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2
    Nope, that's not the correct formula. How would you find the coefficient of friction using a formula that doesn't even mention the coefficient of friction? There's a formula for the force due to friction that has something to do with the coefficient of friction. Look for that formula. Also, the problem mentions "constant velocity" - what do you know about constant velocity?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?