Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

In summary, a box with an acceleration of 1.20 m/s^2 slides down a 30.0 degree ramp and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp needs to be determined. To solve this, a free body diagram should be drawn and the sum of the forces in both the x and y directions should be calculated. Mass and normal force may be needed for the solution.
daliberataaa!

Homework Statement

A box slides down a 30.0 degree ramp with an acceleration of 1.20 m/s^2. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp.

Homework Equations

μk=f sub k/Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

With the information I have, I have no samples in my physics book or anything. I ohnestly don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by drawing a free body diagram.

Edit: Fixed spelling

Is there a mathematical solution though?

What do I need to get to solve this? Do I need mass? Normal force? what?

k well...i have searched the glossary of my book, searched the internet since 3 pm.

Last edited:
Yes there is an analytical solution to the problem. Draw the free body diagram and write out the sum of the forces in both the x and y directions.

Related to Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces when they are in motion relative to each other. It is represented by the symbol μk and is a dimensionless quantity.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be expressed in the formula μk = Fk/FN.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the objects, and the type of material the surfaces are made of. It also depends on the velocity of the objects and the presence of any lubricants.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction different from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces when they are in motion, while the coefficient of static friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces when they are at rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction is typically lower than the coefficient of static friction.

Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is also used in various engineering and design applications, such as determining the stopping distance of a car or the performance of different types of tires.