Coefficient Of Static Friction

In summary: the sad part about a capa is that every question is only worth 1 mark :(, but i will keep that in mind for my exam
kaylanp01
I'm sure that this is a very simple question, but I can't find it in my text. I made a few attempts but I see why they're incorrect, I just can't figure out the correct method.

Homework Statement

A flatbed truck is carrying a 60.0 kg crate along a level road. The coefficient of static friction between the crate and the bed is 0.490. What is the magnitude of the maximum acceleration that the truck can have if the crate is to stay in place?

Homework Equations

I used N-mg=may.

The Attempt at a Solution

N=mg
0.490/60 = 0.008 ( I see why this is incorrect).

and

N=mg=(60)(-9.81)=-588.6 N (I think that I have to use this somehow).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kaylanp01! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :smile:)

Hint: ignore m … the m's all cancel … the acceleration is the same for any object with the same µ. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

(have a mu: µ :smile:)

Hint: ignore m … the m's all cancel … the acceleration is the same for any object with the same µ. :wink:
I still don't understand. Do I need to introduce a new formula? Or do I have everything that I need there already?

Thanks for the µ :).

kaylanp01 said:
I still don't understand. Do I need to introduce a new formula? Or do I have everything that I need there already?

Thanks for the µ :).

erm … well, you need a formula involving µ, for a start! :redface:

tiny-tim said:

erm … well, you need a formula involving µ, for a start! :redface:

haha hey now, be nice. its a saturday night and I'm doing a physics capa, how good is my mindset supposed to be right now? :P

the only formula that I can find with µ is the one for kinetic friction, but i can't see how that's significant. am i missing something?

kaylanp01 said:
haha hey now, be nice. its a saturday night and I'm doing a physics capa, how good is my mindset supposed to be right now? :P

wot's a capa? :confused:
the only formula that I can find with µ is the one for kinetic friction, but i can't see how that's significant. am i missing something?

mmm … how about an equation relating normal force to static friction? :wink:

(or, to put it another way, what is the coefficient of friction?)

tiny-tim said:
wot's a capa? :confused:

mmm … how about an equation relating normal force to static friction? :wink:

(or, to put it another way, what is the coefficient of friction?)

a capa is hell in the form of an online assignment. haha.

okay, i have the formula that you're talking about, i think...and i assume that it gives you
fs(max)= µsN=0.490(-588.6)=288.4

fs=ma
-288.4=(60)a
a=-4.81 m/s^2=4.81 m/s^2

now i shall insert that answer andddd...
correct!

thank you thank you! :)

kaylanp01 said:
okay, i have the formula that you're talking about, i think...and i assume that it gives you
fs(max)= µsN=0.490(-588.6)=288.4

fs=ma
-288.4=(60)a
a=-4.81 m/s^2=4.81 m/s^2

now i shall insert that answer andddd...
correct!

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

… though you would get even more marks if you didn't put those m's in. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

… though you would get even more marks if you didn't put those m's in. :wink:

the sad part about a capa is that every question is only worth 1 mark :(, but i will keep that in mind for my exam :).

Related to Coefficient Of Static Friction

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of force required to keep two surfaces from sliding against each other when there is no motion between them.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction is calculated by dividing the maximum frictional force that can be applied to an object before it starts sliding by the normal force acting on the object.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by factors such as the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the type of material the surfaces are made of.

4. Can the coefficient of static friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can be greater than 1. This indicates a higher resistance to motion between two surfaces, making it more difficult to move one surface over the other.

5. How is the coefficient of static friction used in real life?

The coefficient of static friction is used in various applications, such as designing car tires with enough grip to prevent skidding, determining the strength of bolts and screws, and calculating the maximum weight that can be placed on an inclined surface without it sliding down. It is also important in many engineering and construction projects to ensure the stability of structures.