Coefficients of a Fourier-Bessel series

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ebernardes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coefficients Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
ebernardes
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
When finding the coefficients of a Fourier-Bessel series, the Bessel functions satisfies, for [itex]k_1[/itex]and [itex]k_2[/itex] both zeroes of [itex]J_n(t)[/itex], the orthogonality relation given by:
$$\int_0^1 J_n(k_1r)J_n(k_2r)rdr = 0, (k_1≠k_2)$$
and for [itex]k_1 = k_2 = k[/itex]:

$$\int_0^1 J_n^2(kr)rdr = \frac12J_n^{'2}(k)$$

I understand how to get the first result since the Bessel's equation can be interpreted as a Sturm-Liouville problem, but how can I show the second one?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SteamKing said:
This paper might offer a clue:

But how exactly i can evaluate the integral and get the result given by: [tex]I = \frac{R^2}{\alpha_m^2 - \alpha_n^2}[\alpha_mJ_0(\alpha_n)J_1(\alpha_m) - \alpha_nJ_0(\alpha_m)J_1(\alpha_n)][/tex] or another more general formula for Bessel functions of different order?
 
I believe an integration by parts is called for, using certain relations of Bessel functions to get over the tricky bits:

http://home.comcast.net/~rmorelli146/U3150/Bessel.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator: