Calculating Coefficients of Friction and Tension in a Two-Block System

In summary, The conversation discusses the calculation of gravitational force on two masses along an incline, as well as the force of friction and normal force acting on the masses. The normal force is found by multiplying the mass by the cosine of the angle between the incline and the force of gravity. The friction force is equal to the coefficient of friction times the normal force. The equation for the total force is F= m*a, where m is the mass and a is the acceleration. The tension in the string connecting the two masses is equal to the sum of the "S" component of gravity on the 3.5 kg mass and the friction force on the 3.5 kg mass. The coefficient of kinetic friction and the tension in
Freebunny
*note* This question has been deleted.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You appear to have correctly calculated the components of gravitational force acting on the two masses normal to and along the incline, though you may have gotten your right triangle confused (it is gravity itself that is "directly down", not the pull on the box: For the 8 kg mass they are FS= 8(9.8)sin(35) (FS is the force in the direction of the incline) and
FN= 8(9.8)cos(35). For the 3.5 kg mass they are
FS= 3.5(9.8)sin(35) and FN= 3.5(9.8)cos(35).

I also know the force of friction is equal to the coefficient of friction times the normal force. I think the normal force is mass times the sine of theta times gravity, but I don't know how to find the force of friction.

You almost said it! The normal force is mg cos(35) (not just mass times sin- mg times cosine-look at your diagram) and the friction force is the coefficient of friction times that. The problem is that, here, you are not given the coefficient of friction- that's the "unknown" you are asked to find. Let's call it "c". The friction force on the 8 kg mass is 8(9.5)cos(35) and for the 3.5 kg mass it is 3.5(8.9)cos(35).

The "S" component of gravitational force on the 8 kg mass is pulling it down the incline, the "S" component of gravitational force on the 3.5 kg mass is holding it back (through the rope) and both frictional forces are holding it back. Taking the positive direction down the slope, we have for the total force
F= 8(9.8)sin(35)- 3.5(9.8)sin(35)- 8(9.8)c cos(35)- 3.5(9.8)c sin(35)
= (8-3.5)(9.8)sin(35)- (8-3.5)(9.8)c cos(35)
= 4.5(9.8)sin(35)- 4.5(9.8)c cos(35).
We are told that the 8 kg mass has acceleration 1.5 m/s2 so we must have (F= ma) 4.5(9.8)sin(35)- 4.5(9.8)c cos(35)= 8(1.5).
Solve that equation for c.

Of the four forces, two (the "S" component of gravity on the 8 kg mass and the friction force of the 8 kg mass) are acting directly on the 8 kg mass. The other two (the "S" component of gravity on the 3.5 kg mass and the friction force on the 3.5 kg mass) have to act through the string connecting the two mass. The total of those two forces is the tension in the string.

I found the normal force on the 3.5 kg block to be 28.1 N and the normal force on the 8.00 kg block to be 64.2 N. Does this play at all into the equation? I was using F=coefficient of friction(normal force) before. When I went through the formula you suggested, I found the coefficient of friction to be .493.

In the book, the coefficient of kinetic friction is .0871 and tension is equal to 27.4 N.

When I try to get tension using the "S" component of gravity on the 3.5 kg mass and the friction force on the 3.5 kg mass, I figured the "S" component to be (3.5)(9.8)cos(35). I wasn't sure about the friction force, though. The friction force calculated above was for the whole system .. can still take (4.5)(9.8)sin(35)-(4.5)(9.8)cos(35) to get it?

What is a coefficient of friction?

A coefficient of friction is a dimensionless number that represents the amount of resistance or friction between two surfaces in contact with each other.

How is a coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object itself. It is expressed as a decimal or percentage.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the texture or roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

What are the different types of coefficients of friction?

There are two main types of coefficients of friction: static and kinetic. Static friction refers to the resistance between two surfaces that are not yet in motion, while kinetic friction is the resistance between surfaces in motion.

How is the coefficient of friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of friction is used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and materials science. It is used to calculate the amount of force needed to move an object over a surface and to design structures and machines that reduce friction and increase efficiency.