Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coffee temperature and time of milk addition

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    Youri takes a coffee and adds some milk at room temperature to it.

Saku takes a black coffee and adds the same amount of milk but 10 minutes later.

Which coffee is the hotter and why?

I think that Youri's coffee would be hotter since the temperature variation is proportional to the temperature difference hence it'll cool down slower.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right, because the rate of cooling is proportional to the temperature difference between the coffee surface and the surroundings (ignoring convection).
  4. Dec 8, 2004 #3
    I think that the real answer is: it depends.

If you add lots of milk, then for sure the change of rate of cooling due to lower absolute temperature will dominate.

But if you add just a bit of milk to change the color of coffee, you might actually get it to cool slightly slower. That depends of course how much heat (percentage-wise) is lost through radiation from cup's walls, how much is lost through conduction to the table, how much goes out via convection, and how much is radiated from the top surface :) If there's a significant amount of heat lost due to radiation from the top surface, then making the coffee lighter will decrease radiated heat flux.

5. Dec 8, 2004 #4
    I'd say if Youri's cofee was a few degrees less than it's boiling point, and Saku's was frozen at about 5 degrees kelvin, that Youri's would be hotter.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?