Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,338 replies · 3M views
- Thank you for introducing me to minimalism.

- It is the least I could do.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Klystron, berkeman and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
vivaldi.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude, Borg, Keith_McClary and 2 others
etotheipi said:
So true. I once received the shortest offense ever by an - let's be honest - English, not British man: "Don't get me wrong, I haven't complaint ... (very brief pausing for the comma), yet." And I am sure that the other guy who heard this, too, had no idea it was insulting.

Another occasion (having my English colleague proof read my email, addressed to other colleagues across the channel): Me: "But this is not true!" Her: "I know, but it is what you should write. I am English, we lie."
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, Keith_McClary and etotheipi
Keith_McClary said:
Does Google Translate know this stuff?
No. I regularly use it to get the main parts of a text translated. With the exception of a few standard aphorisms, it is dumb as bread! Even a 1-1 dictionary is often better.

But those dialogues with English colleagues were the best practice ever I had on reading between the lines, instead of on the lines! The crucial thing is to figure out when to do and when not. In the evening at the hotel bar things change to normal, even though with some obvious understatements or exaggerations in between.
 
etotheipi said:
Apparently one of the reasons for the existence of NATO standard vocabulary is an incident when a British officer reported being "in a bit of a sticky situation" to an American superior, who did not know enough about British military culture to understand that this meant "almost out of ammo and they're bringing up tanks".
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu, fresh_42, jack action and 3 others
jtbell said:
Why did the guy name his dogs Rolex and Timex?

Because they're his watch dogs.
Now that I think of it, Rolex must be a $10,000 French bulldog and Timex must be a shelter mutt.
 
"Oh incidentally/by the way" is not just a Britishism. Columbo uses it regularly!
 
Skiier #1: "Look at what's coming down the hill behind us!"

Skiier #2: "Man, that's one piste off bear!"
 
- What are you going to do today?

- I'm going to buy glasses with my friend.

- OK, then what will you do?

- We'll see.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Mark44, 256bits, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
Keith_McClary said:
Does Google Translate know this stuff?

Thats brilliant

I saw a similar version of this but a women to men translator. What she says, what you hear, what she meant kind of thing.

Very funny but not suitable for pf
 
- How much would it cost to buy a singing ensemble?

- You mean "a choir"?

- Fine. How much would it cost to acquire a singing ensemble?
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hmmm27, BillTre, Klystron and 1 other person
Actually, in French it is "double v"
... continuez.