Collision Avoidance - Constant Deceleration

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving two trains, their speeds, and stopping distance. The person is struggling to solve the problem and is seeking clarification and guidance on which equations to use. After some back and forth, they are able to solve the problem by using the third kinematic equation and correcting a conversion error.
Beamsbox
Alright, once again I've failed myself and now I think I've wasted way too much time on trying to figure this out. I just want a bit of help in setting this thing up and perhaps a short description of which variables I need to find first. Any help, much appreciated of course. Thanks all.

Homework Statement

Basically you have two trains, the first traveling at 161km/hr and the second traveling at 29km/hr and 676m ahead of the first. The first slams on his brakes. What magnitude of deceleration must result if a collision is to be just avoided?

Homework Equations

Given equations, not sure which I need to use first, etc.
v=v0 + at
x-x0 = v0(t)+(1/2)at2
v2 = v02 + 2a(x-x0)
x-x0 = (1/2)(v0+v)t
x-x0 = vt-(1/2)at2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, the various attempts I've made seem to lead me to nowhere. The thing that throws me off the most, is I know that if I find the deceleration across the 676m distance, it won't work because the second train has obviously moved.

I'm thinking that I need to somehow find the amount of time the second train takes to travel the distance that it moves while the deceleration takes place, and then use that to determine the distance it travels. From there I could easily calculate the deceleration over the entire distance. BUT! I don't know how to find that time, and I'm thinking that once you write the CORRECT equations, and substitute them into each other perhaps that time will cancel out... leaving you with all the information you need.

But, like I said, I'm lost. And haven't a clue on where to start. I keep confusing myself from all sorts of different angles.

Thanks again for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at it from the point of view of the leading train. You are at rest and you see a train coming at you with the (relative) velocity of 161 - 29 = 132 km/hr. The distance between you and the train is 676 m. What deceleration does the train need to have to stop over that distance? Use the third kinematic equation that you posted to find out.

Finally got the answer I was supposed to get. I had correctly set up the problem (multiple times), but I had apparently converted between km/hr and m/s incorrectly. I stuck with what you were telling me and after a bit I realized my mistake.

Thank you for your time and input, Kuruman.

What is collision avoidance?

Collision avoidance is a concept used in various fields, such as robotics, aviation, and automotive, to prevent collisions between objects or vehicles. It involves using sensors, algorithms, and control systems to detect potential collisions and take actions to avoid them.

What is constant deceleration?

Constant deceleration is a type of motion in which an object's velocity decreases by the same amount over equal time intervals. It is also known as uniform deceleration and is often represented by the symbol "a." It is commonly used in collision avoidance systems to slow down vehicles gradually.

How does collision avoidance with constant deceleration work?

Collision avoidance with constant deceleration works by using sensors, such as radar or lidar, to detect the distance and speed of nearby objects. These data are then processed by algorithms to determine a safe deceleration rate. The control system then adjusts the vehicle's speed accordingly to avoid a collision.

What are the benefits of using collision avoidance with constant deceleration?

Using collision avoidance with constant deceleration can help prevent accidents and reduce the severity of collisions. It can also improve traffic flow and reduce congestion by maintaining a safe distance between vehicles. Additionally, it can provide a safer and more efficient driving experience for passengers.

What are some limitations of collision avoidance with constant deceleration?

Although collision avoidance with constant deceleration has many benefits, it also has some limitations. For example, it may not be able to detect certain objects or obstacles, such as animals or debris on the road. It also relies on accurate sensor data and can be affected by adverse weather conditions. Additionally, it may not be able to prevent collisions in all situations, such as when there is a sudden and unexpected obstacle in the vehicle's path.