What is the final velocity of the car in an elastic collision?

In summary, the problem involves a collision between a 1056-kg van and a 705-kg car, where the van is stopped at a traffic light and the car is traveling with a velocity of +2.45 m/s. The collision is elastic and the goal is to find the final velocity of the car. After analyzing the conservation of momentum and energy equations, it is determined that the final velocity of the car is 1.23 m/s.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

A 1056-kg van, stopped at a traffic light, is hit directly in the rear by a 705-kg car traveling with a velocity of +2.45 m/s. Assume that the transmission of the van is in neutral, the brakes are not being applied, and the collision is elastic. What is the final velocity of the car?

Van
m = 1056kg
v = 0
p = 0

Car
m = 705
v = 2.45
p = 1727.3

Homework Equations

i know that in this kind of collision problem the momentums would add
mv + mv = mv
the mass and velocities of the two vehicles would add because they would both wind up going the same way, the trouble I'm having is isolating just the speed of the car.

The Attempt at a Solution

mv + mv = mv
(1056)(0) + (705)(2.45) = (1761)v
0 + 1727.3 = 1761v
1727.3 = 1761v
v = 0.981m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Hypnos_16 said:
and the collision is elastic.
If the collision is elastic, the vehicles do not stick together after the collision. (Unless this is a misprint, which I suspect it is.)

okay, suppose it is a misprint, and that the two cars do stick to one another, how would i go about isolating juts the speed of the car?

Hypnos_16 said:
okay, suppose it is a misprint, and that the two cars do stick to one another, how would i go about isolating juts the speed of the car?
If they stick together, then they have the same speed. Just like you calculated.

then it must not be a misprint, because the answer i got there isn't the correct answer, i guess they don't stick together.

Hypnos_16 said:
then it must not be a misprint, because the answer i got there isn't the correct answer, i guess they don't stick together.
In that case you need to redo your conservation of momentum equation. But that's not enough--what else is conserved in an elastic collision?

Momentum and Energy are Conserved. so if momentum in conserved would pf = pi ?

Hypnos_16 said:
Momentum and Energy are Conserved.
Good.
so if momentum in conserved would pf = pi ?
Yes.

so then, since his mass didn't increase, his final velocity should be the same has his initial velocity? that doesn't seem to make sense

Hypnos_16 said:
so then, since his mass didn't increase, his final velocity should be the same has his initial velocity? that doesn't seem to make sense
The total momentum is conserved, not the momentum of each car separately.

But in this case wouldn't total momentum be juts the value of the car's momentum since it's the only thing moving?

∑p = p1 + p2
∑p = (705)(2.45) + 0
∑p = 1727.3

then wouldn't v then just be 2.45m/s again?

Hypnos_16 said:
But in this case wouldn't total momentum be juts the value of the car's momentum since it's the only thing moving?
Yes.

∑p = p1 + p2
∑p = (705)(2.45) + 0
∑p = 1727.3
OK.

then wouldn't v then just be 2.45m/s again?
No. After the collision you'll have two speeds to worry about.

So if there are now two speeds to work, would both speeds be the same?
∑p = p1 + p2
∑p = (705)(2.45) + 0
∑p = 1727.3

just divide the momentum in two, half going to one vehicle and the other half going to the other vehicle

so
Car = p = mv
863.7 = (705)v
v = (1.23m/s)?

Hypnos_16 said:
So if there are now two speeds to work, would both speeds be the same?
No.

just divide the momentum in two, half going to one vehicle and the other half going to the other vehicle
No.

You must apply conservation of momentum and energy to solve for the speeds.

But how can i solve for two variables if i know nothing about their speeds after the collision?

Hypnos_16 said:
But how can i solve for two variables if i know nothing about their speeds after the collision?
The speeds after the collision are what you are trying to find. You'll have two equations and two unknowns. Just right.

Okay i think i screwed something up,
i have the ∑p = 1727.3
so i use that as Pf = Pi
Pi = 1727.3
so that what?
1727.3 = mv?
and just input the masses one at a time back into m?

Hypnos_16 said:
Okay i think i screwed something up,
i have the ∑p = 1727.3
so i use that as Pf = Pi
Pi = 1727.3
so that what?
That's the total momentum.
1727.3 = mv?
and just input the masses one at a time back into m?
No. Use the full version of the conservation of momentum equation:

[tex]m_1\vec{v}_1= m_1\vec{v}_1{ '} + m_2\vec{v}_2{ '}[/tex]

You'll also need an equation for conservation of energy.

1. What causes a collision of a parked car?

A collision of a parked car can be caused by a variety of factors, such as driver error, mechanical malfunction, or external forces like weather conditions or other vehicles.

2. How common are collisions of parked cars?

Collisions of parked cars are a relatively common occurrence, with millions of incidents reported each year in the United States alone.

3. What should I do if my parked car is hit?

If your parked car is hit, it is important to remain calm and assess the situation. Take photos of the damage, gather contact and insurance information from the other driver, and report the incident to your insurance company and the police if necessary.

4. Can a parked car collision cause injuries?

While collisions of parked cars are often less severe than those involving moving vehicles, they can still cause injuries, especially if the collision is caused by a larger or heavier vehicle. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience any pain or discomfort after a collision.

5. How can I prevent a collision of a parked car?

To prevent a collision of a parked car, it is important to park in well-lit and designated areas, avoid parking too close to other vehicles, and use parking aids such as backup cameras or sensors. Regular maintenance and inspections of your car can also help prevent mechanical malfunctions that could lead to a collision.