Solving Collision Problem: Velocity and Force

• Thread starter Jchem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary: Just plug in the values for the change in momentum and the change in time and you should get the average force experienced by the 12kg block. In summary, a 12 kg block traveling right at 2.2 m/s collides with a 20 kg block traveling left at 3.0 m/s. After the collision, the 12 kg block is moving left at a speed of 1.6 m/s. The velocity of the 20 kg block after the collision is 0.72 m/s left. To find the average force experienced by the 12 kg block during the collision, we can use the equation F = (m /\V)/(/\t), where F is the average force, m is the
Jchem
A 12 kg block (A) is sliding right with a speed of 2.2 m/s collides with a 20 kg block (B) which is traveling left at 3.0 m/s.

After the collision the 12 Kg block is moving left at a speed of 1.6 m/s

a) what is the velocity of the 20 kg block after the collision?

b) The collision lasts for 0.025s, what is the average force experienced by the 12kg block?

For a) i just used:

P = mv

Pa + Pb = Pa' + Pb'

plugged in the numbers and got Vb' = .72 m/s left.

I'm having trouble with part b) .. any ideas on how i could get started?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For part B), you need to consider the relationship between impulse and momentum (in terms of forces).

ok, well i know that impulse is the change in momentum.

I could find the change in momentum by subtracting Pa' from Pa.

So now I have the impulse

How do I come up with the average force? or is the impulse itself the average force?

Force is the change in momentum per unit time.
Average force is the net change in momentum over the net change in time.

man i have to learn how to use these markup codes...

so I'm thinking that the average force can be found by using:

F = (m /\V)/(/\t)

Im using /\ for delta or "change in"

That looks good to me.

1. How do I calculate the velocity of an object after a collision?

The velocity of an object after a collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum principle. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. Therefore, you can use the equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' to calculate the velocity of the objects after the collision, where m is the mass and v is the velocity of the objects.

2. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are those in which kinetic energy is conserved, meaning that the total energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. In inelastic collisions, some kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, and is not conserved.

3. How do I determine the force of impact in a collision?

The force of impact in a collision can be determined by calculating the impulse, which is the change in momentum of an object. The impulse can be calculated using the equation: impulse = force x time. Therefore, the force of impact can be found by dividing the impulse by the time of impact.

4. How do I know if a collision is perfectly elastic?

A collision is considered perfectly elastic if the objects bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. This means that the velocity of the objects before and after the collision will be the same. To determine if a collision is perfectly elastic, you can calculate the coefficient of restitution, which is the ratio of the final velocity to the initial velocity. If the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, the collision is perfectly elastic.

5. What factors can affect the outcome of a collision?

There are many factors that can affect the outcome of a collision, including the mass, velocity, and elasticity of the objects involved. Other factors such as the angle of impact, surface friction, and external forces can also play a role. Additionally, the conservation of energy and momentum must also be taken into consideration when analyzing a collision.