Solving a 2-Dimensional Collision Problem with Momentum Conservation

• Thread starter yaminohohenheim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, after the collision, the stationary puck has a velocity of 1.4 ms-1 and is moving in the direction of 49.2 deg in the positive x and positive y quadrant.
yaminohohenheim
can anyone offer up some help? I've been working on this forever with no success.

On a frictionless surface, a 0.35 kg puck moves horizontally to the right (at an angle of 0°) and a speed of 2.3 m/s. It collides with a 0.23 kg puck that is stationary. After the collision, the puck that was initially moving has a speed of 2.0 m/s and is moving at an angle of −32°. What is the velocity of the other puck after the collision?

(____m/s, _____°)

any help would be very appreciated. :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What quantity is conserved during the collision?

Is the speed of the second puck after the collision:

v = 0,9191 i - 1,613 j

?

shogunultra said:
Is the speed of the second puck after the collision:

v = 0,9191 i - 1,613 j

?
I believe the question requires the answer in the form of a speed with a direction (degrees above east)

yaminohohenheim said:
can anyone offer up some help? I've been working on this forever with no success.

On a frictionless surface, a 0.35 kg puck moves horizontally to the right (at an angle of 0°) and a speed of 2.3 m/s. It collides with a 0.23 kg puck that is stationary. After the collision, the puck that was initially moving has a speed of 2.0 m/s and is moving at an angle of −32°. What is the velocity of the other puck after the collision?

(____m/s, _____°)

any help would be very appreciated. :-)

After my calculations, I got v = 1.4 ms-1 and in the direction of 49.2 deg in the positive x and positive y quadrant. It's better to use conservation of kinetic energy to find the resultant velocity of the stationary puck after collision. Then use conservation of total momentum in the vertical displacement to find the angle of deviation.

Folks, provide help, not complete solutions.

For this problem, the only thing you know is conserved is momentum. No need to assume that kinetic energy is conserved.

1. What is a collision in 2-dimensions?

A collision in 2-dimensions is an event in which two objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy and momentum.

2. What factors determine the outcome of a collision in 2-dimensions?

The outcome of a collision in 2-dimensions is determined by factors such as the masses, velocities, and angles of the objects involved, as well as any external forces acting on them.

3. How is momentum conserved in a collision in 2-dimensions?

In a collision in 2-dimensions, momentum is conserved according to the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

4. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision in 2-dimensions?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, meaning that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some energy is lost and the objects may stick together after the collision.

5. How can the equations of motion be used to analyze a collision in 2-dimensions?

The equations of motion, such as Newton's second law and the conservation of momentum equation, can be used to calculate the final velocities and directions of the objects involved in a collision in 2-dimensions. These equations take into account the initial conditions and any external forces acting on the objects.