1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Column Reactions

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    A column AB is anchored to the ground by a pin-joint at A, and is held in a vertical position by various loads as shown. Determine:
    (i) Magnitude of force f1
    (ii) Magnitude and direction of the reaction at A

I know how to calculate F1 if it was on a horizontal or vertical. But I'm not sure How to calculate it with the 5kN force offset by 0.5 m horizontally. We haven't been taught how to calculate with anything like this yet.

Attached Files:

• SA2.bmp
      File size:
      98.6 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At the pin support A, there are 2 unknown force components, Ax in the horizontal direction and Ay in the vertical direction. I am sure you are familiar with the three equations of equilibrium,
    sum of forces in x direction = 0
    sum of forces in y direction, and
    sum of moments about any point =0.
    You should first resolve all applied forces, known or unknown, into their x and y components, Fcos theta and Fsin theta, respectively, each applied at the known points. Then sum moments about support A = 0 , paying attention to clockwise vs. counterclockwise moments. Note that the 5kN offset force also produces a moment about A. The moment of a force about a point (axis) is the product of the force times the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to that point.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?