Solve Column Space, Matrix Problem with (x,y,z,w)^T

In summary: That is, they are just telling you, "your range includes vectors with components x, y, z, and w".In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the range of a linear transformation from R^4 -> R^4 using a given matrix. The range is the column space of the matrix and to ensure that a specific vector is included in the range, it must be in the span of the column vectors. It is not possible to find different ranges with different vectors included, as a linear transformation only has one range. The given vector can be used as components for the vectors in the range.
Niles
[SOLVED] Column space, matrix

Homework Statement

I have a linear transformation f from R^4 -> R^4 given by a matrix. I have to find the range of f(R^4) which containts the vector (x,y,z,w)^T.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the range of f is the column space, how do I make sure that the vector (x,y,z,w)^T is part of the range?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by "the vector (x,y,z,w)^T". That appears to be just a general vector, perhaps telling you that you can use x, y, z, and w in your formulas describing the range. Or are you given specific values for those variables?

Yes, you can get the range by looking at the span of the columns. For example, if your matrix is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cccc}1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]
then the range is the three dimensional subspace spanned by (1, 0, 0, 0)^T, (0, 1, 0, 0)^T, and (0, 0, 1, 0)^T, which can be written simply "w= 0".

I am not given a specific vector, but for this example we can equal it to (1,2,3,1) (just an example!). The text says "find the range of f(R^4) that has the above vector included".
The way you did it, you expressed the range in terms of that vector. I am quite sure that it is not what they are asking for. Are we supposed to write it in the form of <A|V> (A being the matrix and V the vector) and then find the range?

I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You make sure (x,y,z,w)^T is in the span of the column vectors. If f is a definite linear transformation, it only has ONE range. You can't 'find a range' that would include an arbitrary vector unless you are allowed to change f. If you are allowed to change f, then as I said, change it in such a way that the vector is in the column space.

Thanks a lot to both of you.

Niles said:
I am not given a specific vector, but for this example we can equal it to (1,2,3,1) (just an example!). The text says "find the range of f(R^4) that has the above vector included".
The way you did it, you expressed the range in terms of that vector. I am quite sure that it is not what they are asking for. Are we supposed to write it in the form of <A|V> (A being the matrix and V the vector) and then find the range?

This, "find the range of f(R^4) that has the above vector included",still doesn't make sense to me. f has one range and either a given vector is in it or not. you can't "find" various ranges that have various vectors in it.

It still sounds to me that they are just telling you that you can use "x, y, z, and w" as the components of the vectors.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a column space?

A column space is the set of all possible linear combinations of the columns of a matrix. In other words, it is the span of the columns of a matrix and represents all the possible combinations of the columns that can be created by multiplying them with scalars.

2. How do you solve a matrix problem with (x,y,z,w)^T as the column vector?

To solve a matrix problem with (x,y,z,w)^T as the column vector, you first need to set up the matrix equation by writing the coefficients of each variable in each row of the matrix. Then, you can use row operations such as row reduction to transform the matrix into row-echelon form and solve for the variables.

3. What is the purpose of solving a column space matrix problem?

The purpose of solving a column space matrix problem is to find a set of solutions that satisfy the given system of equations. This can be useful in various applications such as solving for unknown variables in a system of linear equations or finding the best fit line for a set of data points.

4. Can a column space matrix problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a column space matrix problem can have multiple solutions. This means that there can be more than one set of values for the variables that satisfy the given system of equations. In this case, the column space is said to be infinite and there are infinitely many possible combinations of the columns that can create the same vector.

5. How can I determine if a column space matrix problem has a unique solution?

A column space matrix problem has a unique solution if the columns of the matrix are linearly independent. This means that none of the columns can be written as a linear combination of the other columns. In other words, there is only one way to create the vector using the columns of the matrix. Otherwise, if the columns are linearly dependent, the column space is infinite and there are multiple solutions.