Combinations for word parallelogram

In summary, the number of ways to select four letters from the word parallelogram is 150, according to the book. However, there seems to be some confusion as to whether the four letters must be unique or can be repeated. It is important to clarify this point in order to accurately determine the number of combinations. Taking into account the possibility of repeated letters, the logical approach would be to use 8C4, but this may not align with the given answer of 150. It is also important to note that the question itself is unclear and may lead to different interpretations.
haribol
How many ways can you select four letters out of the word parallelogram ?

The answer on the book is 150. For me I am stuck at using 8C4 and it seems to be the logical way. The reason I chose 8 is because some letters are repeating. So how can they have 150?

Physics news on Phys.org
4 letters or 4 different letters?

cookiemonster

It just says four letters, not four different letters

You can't just remove those letters since you can have a combo of aaap and aapl and aplo. Eliminating those letters will eliminate a lot of your combinations.

I see, but 13C4 is quite big relative to 150 and I see no way how its 150

Well, one thing is that para and para, while different selections, constitute the same 4 letters, I suppose, so shouldn't both be counted. The question as stated is vague on this point!

The original question from the text is as follows:

"Determine the number of ways of selecting, without regard to order, from the word parallelogram"

1. What is a parallelogram?

A parallelogram is a four-sided shape with two pairs of parallel sides. The opposite sides are equal in length and the opposite angles are equal in measure.

2. How many combinations can be made using the letters in the word "parallelogram"?

There are 11 letters in the word "parallelogram", so there are 11! (11 factorial) ways to arrange the letters. This equals 39,916,800 different combinations.

3. How do you calculate the number of combinations for a word with repeated letters, such as "parallelogram"?

For a word with repeated letters, you need to divide the total number of arrangements by the number of times each letter is repeated. In the case of "parallelogram", the letter "l" is repeated twice, so the total number of combinations would be 11! / 2! = 19,958,400.

4. Can you use all 11 letters in the word "parallelogram" to form a single combination?

No, it is not possible to use all 11 letters in a single combination for the word "parallelogram" because there are only 10 letters in the word "parallelogram".

5. How many combinations are possible if the letters "l" and "o" must always be next to each other?

If the letters "l" and "o" must always be next to each other, we can treat them as a single unit. This means there are now 10 letters to arrange, and the total number of combinations is 10!/2! = 1,814,400.