Combined Rotation Angle Query in ENU & Azimuth Tilt Swing

• Thread starter watertreader
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, two different rotation sequences will have the same combined rotation angles only if the end coordinate axes are aligned for all axes. To convert from an Azimuth Tilt Swing rotation system to a Roll Pitch Yaw rotation system, you can use the equations provided in standard textbooks on aircraft dynamics, such as setting Azimuth equal to Roll, Tilt equal to 90 - Roll, and Swing equal to 180 - Pitch.
watertreader
Hi,

Have a query on rotation.

No matter what rotation steps we take when we rotate from a common starting coordinate axes to an end coordinate axes, two different rotation sequences would have the same combined rotation angles if the end coordinate axes are aligned for all axes. Is that right?

I have a starting coordinates axes in ENU.

When I rotate them by using Azimuth Tilt Swing coordinate rotation step, (basically a XZX rotation by the angles- angles formed by Euler roll, pitch yaw. Azimuth = roll, Tilt= 90 + roll Swing = 180- pitch) ,

would I get the same angles if I rotate them in this manner
1) Transform ENU to NED coordinate system
2) Do a RPY rotation in the manner of Z->Y->X axis.
3) Then transform the axes from the body back to the body axes defined by X- Right Wing, Y - Nose, Z = Vertical upwards from Body

Would this yield me the same axes?

Another question I have is how do we convert an Azimuth Tilt Swing Rotation System to a ROll Pitch Yaw rotation system...(the azimuth tilt swing system do not look too intuitive to me)

Regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, two different rotation sequences would not have the same combined rotation angles if the end coordinate axes are not aligned for all axes. To convert an Azimuth Tilt Swing rotation system to a Roll Pitch Yaw rotation system, you would need to use the equations provided in many standard textbooks on aircraft dynamics. For example: Azimuth = Roll, Tilt = 90 - Roll, and Swing = 180 - Pitch.

1. What is a Combined Rotation Angle Query in ENU & Azimuth Tilt Swing?

A Combined Rotation Angle Query in ENU & Azimuth Tilt Swing is a mathematical formula used in geospatial applications to determine the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space. It combines information about the object's rotation around the Earth's axis (known as the Earth-centered, Earth-fixed reference frame or ENU) and its tilt and swing around a fixed point on Earth's surface (known as the azimuth tilt swing or ATS). This formula is commonly used in satellite tracking and navigation systems.

2. How is a Combined Rotation Angle Query calculated?

The Combined Rotation Angle Query is calculated using a multi-step mathematical formula that takes into account the object's position in ENU and its tilt and swing in the ATS frame. The exact formula may vary slightly depending on the specific application, but it typically involves converting the object's coordinates from one frame to the other and then using trigonometric functions to determine the combined rotation angle.

3. What is the purpose of using a Combined Rotation Angle Query?

The purpose of using a Combined Rotation Angle Query is to accurately determine the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space. This information is crucial in many applications, such as satellite tracking and navigation, where precise knowledge of the object's position and orientation is necessary for successful operation.

4. Can a Combined Rotation Angle Query be used for any object in space?

Yes, a Combined Rotation Angle Query can be used for any object in space as long as its position and orientation can be defined in both the ENU and ATS frames. This includes satellites, spacecraft, and other celestial bodies.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Combined Rotation Angle Query?

One limitation of using a Combined Rotation Angle Query is that it relies on precise and accurate data about the object's position and orientation in both frames. Any errors or discrepancies in this data can affect the accuracy of the calculated rotation angle. Additionally, the formula may not be applicable in certain scenarios, such as when an object's orientation is constantly changing or when it is located at extreme latitudes on Earth.