Commonly performed surgeries in America

  • #1
List some commonly performed surgeries in America.

I'll start:

Cataract - phaco out bad lens and replace it with IOL, Intraocular Lens implant.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
adrenaline
Science Advisor
100
3
Vasectomy the most common form of birth control in this country

Back surgery, the third most common surgery in america

If you include all I and Ds or Incision and Drainages of abceseses, this has got to be the most common since non surgeons can preform these on superficial abcesses.

Hysterectomies

Hip replacement (it's in the top 10)
 
  • #3
Originally posted by adrenaline
Vasectomy the most common form of birth control in this country

Back surgery, the third most common surgery in america

If you include all I and Ds or Incision and Drainages of abceseses, this has got to be the most common since non surgeons can preform these on superficial abcesses.

Hysterectomies

Hip replacement (it's in the top 10)

Vasectomy offers sterilization forever?? Why would someone offer that operation on men?
 
  • #4
adrenaline
Science Advisor
100
3
The guy pretty much is done with kids

Benefits:


1. The wife does not prolong ingestion of birth control pills which have the disadvantage of increasing her chances of blood clots, strokes, and weight gain.

2. Most guys don't want to keep using condoms, hence the above

3. Unlike tubal ligation of women, it is not an intrabdominal procedure and does not incur the risk of intrabdominal surgeries including: more risk of bleeding, difficulty of access and the potential for setting up adhesions which can come back and cause small bowel obstructions in the far future.

4. You save money on condoms or birth control pills.

5. The world is overpopulated

The men do not make these decisions without some thought. Many have a clutch full of kids from more than one marriage and are not financially capable or emotionally able to have another.
 
  • #5
Originally posted by adrenaline
The guy pretty much is done with kids

Benefits:


1. The wife does not prolong ingestion of birth control pills which have the disadvantage of increasing her chances of blood clots, strokes, and weight gain.

2. Most guys don't want to keep using condoms, hence the above

3. Unlike tubal ligation of women, it is not an intrabdominal procedure and does not incur the risk of intrabdominal surgeries including: more risk of bleeding, difficulty of access and the potential for setting up adhesions which can come back and cause small bowel obstructions in the far future.

4. You save money on condoms or birth control pills.

5. The world is overpopulated

The men do not make these decisions without some thought. Many have a clutch full of kids from more than one marriage and are not financially capable or emotionally able to have another.

umm, what kind of sick men wanna do that?? **** everyday?
 
  • #6
adrenaline
Science Advisor
100
3
It's an easy surgery, you just snip the vas deferens which are outside the abdominal cavity . Most guys are back to having sex, bikng etc. within a week. Clipping the fallopian tubes (the female equivalent of vas deferens so to speak,) is much more painful and a longer postoperative recovery.
 
  • #7
740
3
Plastic surgery. Breast enchancement. Facial recontructive surgery.
 
  • #8
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Originally posted by adrenaline
It's an easy surgery, you just snip the vas deferens which are outside the abdominal cavity . Most guys are back to having sex, bikng etc. within a week. Clipping the fallopian tubes (the female equivalent of vas deferens so to speak,) is much more painful and a longer postoperative recovery.
*makes a mental note*
 
  • #9
Njorl
Science Advisor
258
10
Originally posted by adrenaline
It's an easy surgery, you just snip the vas deferens ...


Only a woman would say that. I don't want any snipping around little Njorl! Well... not little Njorl ... um medium Njorl ... yeah, that's the ticket!

Njorl
 
  • #10
adrenaline
Science Advisor
100
3
Originally posted by Njorl


Only a woman would say that. I don't want any snipping around little Njorl! Well... not little Njorl ... um medium Njorl ... yeah, that's the ticket!

Njorl
 
  • #11
740
3
Originally posted by Monique
*makes a mental note*
Oh ya, well nothing says lovin like watching an appesiotomy(sp?).
It's where they slice right up the middle to widen inner labia to allow for the birthing process. I was fine right up until that happened. I can watch blood, guts, mucous, even openings stretching way past what they were meant to do. But when they started slicing stuff up down there, I had to sit down.

Take THAT!
 
Last edited:
  • #12
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Even MORE reason to have the MALE's tubes snipped.
 
  • #13
Njorl
Science Advisor
258
10
Originally posted by Zantra
Oh ya, well nothing says lovin like watching an appesiotomy(sp?).
It's where they slice right up the middle to widen inner labia to allow for the birthing process. I was fine right up until that happened. I can watch blood, guts, mucous, even openings stretching way past what they were meant to do. But when they started slicing stuff up down there, I had to sit down.

Take THAT!
When my daughter was being delivered, they had to do an unexpected epeziotomy. The doctor just grabbed some scissors and started chopping away. I nearly went berserk. I started letting go of my wifes foot so I could pummel the doctor. I imagine it would not have been a helpful thing to do.

Njorl
 
  • #14
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
umm, what kind of sick men wanna do that?? **** everyday?
The kind of man who loves his wife and is willing to undergo a minor office procedure instead of putting her through the multiple health risks of BC pills or full-blown surgery with anesthesia and the previously-mentioned risks of THAT!

Uh, what do you mean "everyday?"? (*raises eyebrow*)
 
  • #15
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Originally posted by Zantra
Oh ya, well nothing says lovin like watching an appesiotomy(sp?).
It's where they slice right up the middle to widen inner labia to allow for the birthing process. I was fine right up until that happened. I can watch blood, guts, mucous, even openings stretching way past what they were meant to do. But when they started slicing stuff up down there, I had to sit down.

Take THAT!
Wimp. Ivan came to work with me one night while I was on call many years ago, and we were trying to get an IV going on a rather difficult pt. Just as we got the cath into the vein, the pt. became even more agitated and a little more blood 'escaped' than usual. Ivan was helping to hold the pt. down for the procedure and suddenly became rather pale and I had to send him into the next room to recover. He usually does not have this type of problem with blood - unlike all the big, tough college football players that we always did lab work on during their sports physicals. I can't tell you how many of these guys we had to pick up off the floor of the lab after their blood draws!! What a RIOT!
 
  • #16
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Knee replacements, shoulder and knee arthroscopies, emergency appendectomies (usually about one a week at most hospitals I've worked at), cervical fusions...all extremely common. Also, tonsillectomies are still done quite a bit by some MD's, although not as much as they used to be done. Tubal ligations (for the women of the men who just plain shrivel up at the mere thought of a vasectomy for themselves ) still seem to be quite a hit on the surgery schedules these days. Surgical removal of foreign bodies (various items from various body parts and orifices) has been on the rise in recent years as well.
 
  • #17
Originally posted by Tsunami
The kind of man who loves his wife and is willing to undergo a minor office procedure instead of putting her through the multiple health risks of BC pills or full-blown surgery with anesthesia and the previously-mentioned risks of THAT!

Uh, what do you mean "everyday?"? (*raises eyebrow*)

how much does that vactosectomy cost? do you know, bud?
 
  • #18
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,213
177
Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
how much does that vactosectomy cost? do you know, bud?
Heck, we got our little pair of scissors at WalMart for a couple of dollars. The ice was free.
 
  • #19
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
how much does that vactosectomy cost? do you know, bud?
Depends. Call your family physician. He/she will be able to give you all the info you need. I think, though, you may be a tad young to be considering this, don't you? Please tell me you're just curious and you are not considering this. Talk to your parents or doctor if you are.
 
  • #20
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Heck, we got our little pair of scissors at WalMart for a couple of dollars. The ice was free.
Yes, and I got to do something I always wanted to try! That was such a fun day. Wasn't it, honey? )]
 
  • #21
Originally posted by Tsunami
Depends. Call your family physician. He/she will be able to give you all the info you need. I think, though, you may be a tad young to be considering this, don't you? Please tell me you're just curious and you are not considering this. Talk to your parents or doctor if you are.

LOL, no I am not considering that. I'm just curious how much would a man spend to get sterilized permanently.
 
  • #22
adrenaline
Science Advisor
100
3
Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
LOL, no I am not considering that. I'm just curious how much would a man spend to get sterilized permanently.
it's a fifth of the price of tubal ligation and pays for itself once the woman is off birth control pills for a few years. (Assuming she is spending 30-60 dollars per month depending on her drug plan)
 
  • #23
iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1,317
2
Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
I'm just curious how much would a man spend to get sterilized permanently.
It can be reversed.
 
  • #24
adrenaline
Science Advisor
100
3
Originally posted by iansmith
It can be reversed.
Unfortunately, it only has a 40 to 50 percent success rate.
 
  • #25
740
3
50 percent is better than the zero percent chance of reversing a vasectomy.

Besides, these types of surguries are usually declined to anyone under 25, unles there are extrenuating circumstances (ie a lot of kidss already).


Tsunami, I spy a medical professional. Nurse is it?:wink:

Elementary!
 

Related Threads on Commonly performed surgeries in America

  • Last Post
Replies
19
Views
16K
  • Last Post
Replies
10
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
42
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
14
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
22
Views
3K
Replies
18
Views
11K
Top