How do commutation relations help in solving quantum mechanics?

In summary: Huh?!...How on Earth do you get that?:confused:Let's see here...using PQ=a+QP, we have:\begin{aligned} \left[P,Q^n\right] & = PQ^n-Q^nP \\ & = PQQ^{n-1}-Q^nP \\ & = (a+QP)Q^{n-1}-Q^nP \\ & = aQ^{n-1}+QPQ^{n-1}-Q^nP \\ & = aQ^{n-1}+QPQQ^{n-2}-Q^n
noblegas

Homework Statement

Suppose the operators P and Q satisfy the commutation relation

[P,Q]=a, where a is a constant(a number, not an operator).

a)Reduced the commutator

[P,Q^n] where Q^n means the product of n Qs, to the simplest possible form.

b) Reduce the commutator

[P,e^iQ] to the simplest form.(The operator function e^iQ is defined by the equation, U*[tex]\varphi[/tex]=[tex]\sum[/tex](iQ)^n/(n!), U=e^iQ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) do they want me to reduced both of my commutation relations to constant like the constant a? [P,Q^n]=d/dx*(P*Q^n-Q^n*P)*phi =0? zero is a constant.

b) [P, e^iQ]=d/dx*(P*e^iQ-e^iQ*P)*phi

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what they want is for you to use the commutator [P,Q]=a to re-write [P,Q^n]=P*Q^n - Q^n*P. Leaving the second term alone, you can move the P in the first term over space by space to end up with [P,Q^n]=Q^n*P-Q^n*P+... where ... is what's left over. Just to illustrate the first move: P*Q^n = Q*P*Q^(n-1) + aQ^(n-1) where I've used the [P,Q] relation: P*Q=Q*P+a. Keep doing this to find out what [P,Q^n] becomes.

Do a similar thing for the the exp function, replacing exp[iQ] by the series expansion.

javierR said:
I think what they want is for you to use the commutator [P,Q]=a to re-write [P,Q^n]=P*Q^n - Q^n*P. Leaving the second term alone, you can move the P in the first term over space by space to end up with [P,Q^n]=Q^n*P-Q^n*P+... where ... is what's left over. Just to illustrate the first move: P*Q^n = Q*P*Q^(n-1) + aQ^(n-1) where I've used the [P,Q] relation: P*Q=Q*P+a. Keep doing this to find out what [P,Q^n] becomes.

Do a similar thing for the the exp function, replacing exp[iQ] by the series expansion.

[P,Q^n]=Q^n*P-Q^n*P=0; But generally , matrices don't commute. How do you know P*Q^n = Q*P*Q^(n-1) + aQ^(n-1) ? I understand how you got the first term, I don't understand how you you got the second term?

never mind , got it. since PQ-QP=a, then Q^(n-1)*PQ-QP(Q^(n-1)=Q^(n-1)(PQ-QP)=Q^n-1*a

Last edited:
since, e^iQ=U and U*phi= [tex]sum[/tex](iQ)^n/n!

then [P,e^IQ]= P(iQ)^n*phi/n!-(iQ)^n*phi/n*P=PQ^1*Q^(i)*Q^(n-1)-Q^1*Q^(i)*Q^(n-1)*P/(n!); correct?

noblegas said:
[P,Q^n]=Q^n*P-Q^n*P=0; But generally , matrices don't commute.

Right, generally operators don't commute...so why are you setting this commutator equal to zero?

Also, the order in which you multiply the operators together is important! Otherwise all commutators would be zero.

[tex][P,Q^n]=PQ^n-Q^nP\neq Q^n*P-Q^n*P[/tex]

never mind , got it. since PQ-QP=a, then Q^(n-1)*PQ-QP(Q^(n-1)=Q^(n-1)(PQ-QP)=Q^n-1*a

No, order is important

[tex]Q^{n-1}PQ-QPQ^{n-1}\neq Q^{n-1}(PQ-QP)[/itex]

but

[tex]PQQ^{n-1}-QPQ^{n-1}=(PQ-QP)Q^{n-1}=aQ^{n-1}\implies PQQ^{n-1}=aQ^{n-1}+QPQ^{n-1}[/tex]

And, even more useful to you:

[tex][P,Q]=PQ-QP=a\implies PQ=a+QP[/tex]

...what do you get for your completely reduced [itex][P,Q^n][/itex]?

gabbagabbahey said:
Right, generally operators don't commute...so why are you setting this commutator equal to zero?

Also, the order in which you multiply the operators together is important! Otherwise all commutators would be zero.

[tex][P,Q^n]=PQ^n-Q^nP\neq Q^n*P-Q^n*P[/tex]
No, order is important

[tex]Q^{n-1}PQ-QPQ^{n-1}\neq Q^{n-1}(PQ-QP)[/itex]

but

[tex]PQQ^{n-1}-QPQ^{n-1}=(PQ-QP)Q^{n-1}=aQ^{n-1}\implies PQQ^{n-1}=aQ^{n-1}+QPQ^{n-1}[/tex]

And, even more useful to you:

[tex][P,Q]=PQ-QP=a\implies PQ=a+QP[/tex]

...what do you get for your completely reduced [itex][P,Q^n][/itex]?

I get an expression that reduces to [tex]Q^(n-1)QP=QPQ^(n-1)[/tex] =>the expression is zero when I move one of the terms on the left or right side? Is the second part to my problem with the imaginary term correct?

noblegas said:
I get an expression that reduces to [tex]Q^(n-1)QP=QPQ^(n-1)[/tex] =>the expression is zero when I move one of the terms on the left or right side? Is the second part to my problem with the imaginary term correct?

Huh?!...How on Earth do you get that?:confused:

Let's see here...using [itex]PQ=a+QP[/itex], we have:

[tex]\begin{aligned} \left[P,Q^n\right] & = PQ^n-Q^nP \\ & = PQQ^{n-1}-Q^nP \\ & = (a+QP)Q^{n-1}-Q^nP \\ & = aQ^{n-1}+QPQ^{n-1}-Q^nP \\ & = aQ^{n-1}+QPQQ^{n-2}-Q^nP \\ & = aQ^{n-1}+Q(a+QP)Q^{n-2}-Q^nP\end{aligned}[/tex]

and so on...that doesn't look like its zero to me!

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey said:
Huh?!...How on Earth do you get that?:confused:

Let's see here...using [itex]PQ=a+QP[/itex], we have:

[tex]\begin{aligned} \left[P,Q^n\right] & = PQ^n-Q^nP \\ & = PQQ^{n-1}-Q^nP \\ & = (a+QP)Q^{n-1}-Q^nP \\ & = aQ^{n-1}+QPQ^{n-1}-Q^nP \\ & = aQ^{n-1}+QPQQ^{n-2}-Q^nP \\ & = aQ^{n-1}+Q(a+QP)Q^{n-2}-Q^nP\end{aligned}[/tex]

and so on...that doesn't look like its zero to me!

I got the first part of the problem. Is my approach to the second part of the problem correct?

You say you got the first part, but you haven't yet posted a result that makes any sense...what was your final result?

The second part of the problem uses the result of the first part, so you'd better get that correctly before attempting it.

gabbagabbahey said:
You say you got the first part, but you haven't yet posted a result that makes any sense...what was your final result?

The second part of the problem uses the result of the first part, so you'd better get that correctly before attempting it.

[tex]2aQ^(n-1)+[P,Q^n][/tex]; I can get my latex to work properly , the Q term is suppose to be Q raise to the n-1 power .

So you are telling me that you get [itex][P,Q^n]=2aQ^{n-1}+[P,Q^n][/itex]?

Do you think [itex]Q(a+QP)Q^{n-2}=aQ^{n-1}+PQ^n[/itex]?...If so, remember my earlier comment (it is the end all and be all of operator rules)-the order in which you multiply operators together is important

gabbagabbahey said:
So you are telling me that you get [itex][P,Q^n]=2aQ^{n-1}+[P,Q^n][/itex]?

Do you think [itex]Q(a+QP)Q^{n-2}=aQ^{n-1}+PQ^n[/itex]?...If so, remember my earlier comment (it is the end all and be all of operator rules)-the order in which you multiply operators together is important

I thought Law of association applied to matrices? [tex]aQ^{n-1}+(QaQ^n)(Q^-2)+QQPQ^nQ^-2=aQ^n-1+(QaQ^n)Q^-1Q^-1+QQPQ^nQ^-2=2*a*Q^{n-1}+Q^2PQ^nQ^{-2}[/tex]. Matrices and constants can commute , but two or more matrices cannot commute.

Last edited:
noblegas said:
I thought Law of association applied to matrices? [itex]aQ^{n-1}+(QaQ^n)(Q^{-2})+QQPQ^nQ^{-2}=aQ^n-1+(QaQ^n)Q^{-1}Q^{-1}+QQPQ^nQ^{-2}=2aQ^{n-1}+Q^2PQ^nQ^{-2}[/itex]. Matrices and constants can commute , but two or more matrices cannot commute.

Right, so why did you tell me your final result was [itex]2aQ^{n-1}+[P,Q^n][/itex]?

gabbagabbahey said:
Right, so why did you tell me your final result was [itex]2aQ^{n-1}+[P,Q^n][/itex]?

i incorrectly assumed that matrices commute,but only commute if P and Q share the same eigenfunctions. Do you think I should continue to simplify my new expression?

Noblegas, are you familiar the Leibniz rule for commutators? [itex][A,BC]=B[A,C]+[A,B]C[/itex] (try writing out the commutators in full to verify this). You can easily remember this because it has the same structure as the Leibniz rule for the derivative of a product.

Apply this to your problem and you get a recursive formula for [itex][P,Q^n][/itex].

Yes, you should continue to simplify it...you now have [itex][P,Q^n]=2aQ^{n-1}+Q^2PQ^{n-2}-Q^nP[/itex] (assuming [itex]n\geq 2[/itex] ), right? Keep simplifying the middle term...you should see a pattern...

gabbagabbahey said:
Yes, you should continue to simplify it...you now have [itex][P,Q^n]=2aQ^{n-1}+Q^2PQ^{n-2}-Q^nP[/itex] (assuming [itex]n\geq 2[/itex] ), right? Keep simplifying the middle term...you should see a pattern...

I let QP=-a+PQ and therefore I got an expression that looks like this:

[tex]2aQ^{n-1}-aQ^{n-1}+PQ^{n-1}-Q^{n}P=aQ^{n-1}+PQ^{n-1}-Q^{n}P[/tex]

noblegas said:
I let QP=-a+PQ and therefore I got an expression that looks like this:

[tex]2aQ^{n-1}-aQ^{n-1}+PQ^{n-1}-Q^{n}P=aQ^{n-1}+PQ^{n-1}-Q^{n}P[/tex]

But [itex]QP=+a+PQ\neq-a+PQ[/itex].

And concentrate on the middle term...[itex]Q^2PQ^{n-2}=[/itex]____?

Alternatively (since you don't seem to be grasping this at all), you can try Preno's suggestion:

[tex][A,BC]=B[A,C]+[A,B]C\implies [P,Q^n]=[P,QQ^{n-1}]=Q[P,Q^{n-1}]+[P,Q]Q^{n-1}=Q[P,Q^{n-1}]+aQ^{n-1}[/tex]

then use the same method to simplify [itex]Q[P,Q^{n-1}][/itex] and then [itex]Q^2[P,Q^{n-2}][/itex] and then [itex]Q^3[P,Q^{n-3}][/itex] all the way down to [itex]Q^n[P,Q^0][/itex].

Last edited:
sorry to rehash this thread, my final solution was [tex] [P,Q^{n}]=naQ^{n-1} [/tex] . I am having trouble relating this solution to [tex] [P,e^{iQ}] =Pe^{iQ}-e^{iQ}P[/tex]. [tex]U*\varphi={iQ}^n/n![/tex] which means [tex] [P,e^{iQ}] =P(iQ)^n/n!-(iQ)^n/n!*P=i^{n}/n!*(PQ^n-Q^nP)=i^{n}/n!*(naQ^{n-1})[/tex]? please look at the latex code if you have trouble reading the output of my latex code.

Last edited:
What are the [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]\varphi[/itex] supposed to represent?

The definition you want use is [tex]e^{iQ}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{Q^n}{n!}[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
What are the [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]\varphi[/itex] supposed to represent?

The definition you want use is [tex]e^{iQ}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{Q^n}{n!}[/tex]

According to my book , [tex] U*\varphi=\sum (iQ)^{n}/n![/tex] and [tex] U=e^{iQ} [/tex]* [tex]\varphi[/tex] represents an eigenfunction. read as e^(iQ)^n*phi

Last edited:

1. What is a commutation relation problem?

A commutation relation problem is a mathematical problem in quantum mechanics that involves determining the relationship between two operators that represent physical observables. These operators may not commute, meaning that their order of operation affects the outcome of a measurement. The commutation relation problem seeks to define the exact relationship between these operators.

2. Why is the commutation relation problem important?

The commutation relation problem is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how physical quantities are related. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum theories and the prediction of experimental results.

3. What are some common commutation relations?

Some common commutation relations include the position-momentum commutation relation [x, p] = iħ, the energy-time commutation relation [H, t] = iħ, and the angular momentum components commutation relations [L_x, L_y] = iħL_z and [L_y, L_z] = iħL_x.

4. How is the commutation relation problem solved?

The commutation relation problem is solved using mathematical techniques such as operator algebra, eigenvalue equations, and commutator identities. These methods allow us to manipulate the operators and determine their commutation relations.

5. What are some real-world applications of the commutation relation problem?

The commutation relation problem has many applications in modern technology, such as in the development of quantum computers, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. It is also used in the study of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules, and in the understanding of quantum phenomena like superposition and entanglement.