Compare a system to equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a given system is in equilibrium and predicting the direction in which the reaction will proceed. The equilibrium constant (Kc) is given as 9.1 x 10^80, and the concentrations of the reactants and products are provided. The equation for comparing a system to equilibrium is also mentioned. After solving for Q using the given concentrations, the speaker concludes that Q < K, indicating that the reaction will move in the forward direction. However, the book claims that Q should be equal to K, suggesting that the reaction is in equilibrium. The speaker asks for clarification on whether they may have made a mistake or if the book is incorrect.

what are you doing in the summerrr?

• traveling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • studying chemistry:my one and only love

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
oceanflavored

Homework Statement

Determine whether or not each of the following system is in equilibrium. If the system is not in equilibrium, predict whether it will proceed in the forward or reverse direction:
2 H2(g) + O2(g) ---> 2H2O(g)
and Kc (equilibrium constant) is 9.1 x 10^80
and the concentrations are H2: 3 x 10^-30 M...for O2: 2.2 x 10^-24...for 2H2O: 0.0180 M

Homework Equations

To compare a system to equilibrium, you have to compare K to Q. where Q is [products]^coeffecients / [reactants]^coeffecients
and if Q = K, the reaction is at equilibrium...if Q < K, the reaction will move in the forward direction...and if Q > K, the reaction will move in the reverse direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

so i solved it like this...
[0.0180]^2 / [3 x 10^-30]^2[2.2 x 10-24] and i got...1.64 x 10^79 for Q
and since Q < K i said the reaction would move in the forward direction

and here's where the problem comes in :yuck:
the book says: that for Q i should get 9.1 x 10^80, meaning that Q would be equal to K and reaction would be in equilibrium.

please help me. am i inputing the things in my calculator wrong? or is the book wrong? thanks muchhh :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
come on guysssssss.
you can do this.
please.
&gracias.

Well, I'm no chemist, but I think your calculation for Q is correct. I can't see a mistake in it. Are you sure you copied everything correctly? Perhaps the book is wrong.

Thanks!

i'm positive i copied everything correctly.&i did it like 10 times.
so the book is probably wrong.
thanks so much hage657 :tongue:

1. What is meant by "equilibrium" in a system?

"Equilibrium" refers to a state in which opposing forces or processes are balanced, resulting in a stable system. In other words, there is no net change occurring in the system.

2. How does a system compare to equilibrium?

A system can be compared to equilibrium by analyzing the balance of forces or processes within the system. If the forces are balanced, the system is in equilibrium. If there is an imbalance, the system is not in equilibrium and may be moving towards it.

3. What factors affect a system's ability to reach equilibrium?

Several factors can affect a system's ability to reach equilibrium, including the nature of the system, the strength of the opposing forces, and the presence of outside influences or disturbances.

4. Can a system ever achieve perfect equilibrium?

In theory, a system can achieve perfect equilibrium if all opposing forces or processes are perfectly balanced. However, in reality, there are always external influences or disturbances that prevent a system from achieving perfect equilibrium.

5. How is equilibrium important in scientific research and analysis?

Equilibrium is a fundamental concept in science and is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of systems. It allows scientists to study the balance of forces and processes within a system and make predictions about its future state.