Comparing kinetic energy of electron and alpha particle with same radius of curvature

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
doggitz
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Suppose that I want to compare the Kinetic Energy of an electron to the Kinetic Energy of an alpha particle if they both have the same radius of curvature in a magnetic field.

Homework Equations



qvB = mv^2/r
KE = 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I am studying for my PE and I have run across this problem. I just want to know if the equations that I show are the correct ones for this problem. I am wondering if I have to set two (2) versions of these equations equal to each other (one for electron -- one for a-particle) ??

If anyone has a solution then please share it with me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried working the problem all the way through? It shouldn't be hard...