Understanding Maxium Displacement Problem in Serway 8th Edition Chapter 3

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from the Serway 8th edition chapter 3 that involves trigonometry. The problem is due soon and the person is struggling to solve it. They mention the law of sines as a possible solution and suggest looking it up on Wikipedia for help. They also mention using the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing side. Another person suggests using the equations y = r cos theta and x = r sin theta to solve the problem. In the end, both methods should work to solve the triangle.
1joey1
I understand that i should post all relevant work that I've done, but i don't even know where to start, in the serway 8th edition chapter 3 this problem is listed, i read all of chapter 3 yet still can't even attempt this problem. It's for my online homework which is due monday morning and was assigned last night, so i don't even have the chance to goto the tutors for help. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

5cjfqf.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just trigonometry. They are telling you that your hypotenuse is 1.4 m and then giving you an angle. I believe that you can use the law of sines to solve this problem where a/(sin A) = b/(sin B). Look up law of sines on wikipedia if you don't remember because it will have an illustration that helps.
After you do that once you can just use the Pythagorean to get the other side.

Basically you are just solving for this triangle.

I was just thinking about it and I'm pretty sure you can just take y = r cos theta to get the perpendicular component and x = r sin theta to get the parallel component.

Both ways should work. Sorry if I over complicated it.

Related to Understanding Maxium Displacement Problem in Serway 8th Edition Chapter 3

1. What does "completely lost" mean in the context of maximum displacement?

"Completely lost" refers to the state of being unable to determine the exact location or position of an object or system in relation to its starting point.

2. How is maximum displacement calculated?

Maximum displacement is calculated by determining the distance between the starting point and the farthest point reached by an object or system.

3. What factors can affect maximum displacement?

The factors that can affect maximum displacement include the initial velocity and direction of the object, any external forces acting on the object, and the shape and structure of the object itself.

4. Why is maximum displacement important in scientific research?

Maximum displacement is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to understand the limits and capabilities of various objects and systems. It can also provide valuable insights into the forces and factors that affect an object's motion.

5. How can maximum displacement be measured in real-world scenarios?

In real-world scenarios, maximum displacement can be measured using tools such as measuring tapes, rulers, or laser distance meters. It can also be calculated by analyzing data from sensors or motion tracking devices.