1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Completeness axiom/theorem and supremum

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    "Let A and B be bounded nontempty sets of real numbers. Let C={ab:a in A, b in B}. Prove that sup(C)=sup(A)sup(B)."

Here's what I've done so far:

By the completeness axiom/theorem A and B have suprema. Let sup(A)=z and sup(B)=y. For all e>0, there exists a in A and b in B such that z-e<a and y-e<b. Multiplying the two inequalities and we have

zy-ze-ye+e^2 < ab

I'm stuck here.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would be a good idea to show first that zy is an upper bound on C!
    You are using the fact that since z is the least upper bound on A there must be an a between z-e and z and since y is the least upper bound on B there must be a b between z-e and z. What does that tell you about there being an ab between zy- e and z?

4. Dec 11, 2005 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

step 1 show it's an upper bound,

step 2 show it is a least upper bound which can be messy.

it's easier to use the definition of sup as the maximum of the accumulation points.

You need to show that give d>0 you can find e greater than zero such that 0<ey+ez-e^2<d, so do that.

5. Dec 11, 2005 #4
    I don't know, but I want to arrive at the conclusion that zy-x<ab for all x>0. If I could prove that zy-(???)<ab where (????) is positive, then I'm done, since I can let x=(????).

6. Dec 11, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

we may suppose e<z and e<y, can you see how that might help?

7. Dec 11, 2005 #6
    e>0. z and y could be negative.

8. Dec 12, 2005 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How can the supremum of a set of positive numbers be negative?

9. Dec 12, 2005 #8
    A and B aren't sets of strictly positive numbers.

10. Dec 12, 2005 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then the proposition is trivially false.

11. Dec 12, 2005 #10
    You're right. This is odd considering it's an archived analysis final exam.

12. Dec 12, 2005 #11

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The odd thing is that at one point i even checked back to make sure that these were sets of positive numbers just so i didn't make a mistake and i am convinced that i remember reading that you wrote they were positive real numbers. Odd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook