Completing the square and then using trig substitutio

In summary, the student attempted to solve the integral of 1/[(x^2+4x+3)^(3/2)] by completing the square and using trigonometric substitution. However, they forgot to include the exponent in the denominator, leading to a small mistake. Despite this, they are on the right track and just need to include the exponent in their calculations.
KevinL

Homework Statement

Integral of 1/[(x^2+4x+3)^(3/2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried completing the square and then using trig substitution. So its:

1/[(x+2)^2 -1] let x+2=sec(theta), dx =sec(theta)tan(theta)

After some simplifying, I get it down to integral of csc(theta) which = -ln|csc(theta) + cot(theta)|

My calc teacher has the answers online, and it doesn't have any ln in it at all, so I am pretty sure I am on the wrong track here. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

It seems like you completely forgot about the exponent in the denominator.

KevinL said:

Homework Statement

Integral of 1/[(x^2+4x+3)^(3/2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried completing the square and then using trig substitution. So its:

1/[(x+2)^2 -1] let x+2=sec(theta), dx =sec(theta)tan(theta)

After some simplifying, I get it down to integral of csc(theta) which = -ln|csc(theta) + cot(theta)

The small mistake you made after completing the square is that you forgit to copy down the ^3/2 in the denominator. It should be:

[tex]\frac{1}{[(x+2)^{2} -1]^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex].

It becomes much easier when you include it ;). But aside from that mistake you're on teh right general track.

Last edited:

What is completing the square?

Completing the square is a method used in algebra to solve quadratic equations. It involves manipulating the equation to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be easily solved.

Why do we use trig substitution?

Trig substitution is used when we encounter integrals with expressions that include quadratic terms and square roots. It allows us to rewrite the integral in terms of trigonometric functions, making it easier to solve.

How do you complete the square?

To complete the square, first make sure that the coefficient of the squared term is equal to 1. Then, take half of the coefficient of the linear term and square it. Add this value to both sides of the equation. Finally, factor the perfect square trinomial on the left side and solve for the variable.

Can completing the square be used for any quadratic equation?

Yes, completing the square can be used to solve any quadratic equation, regardless of the coefficients or terms present. However, it may not always be the most efficient method, especially when dealing with complex numbers.

Are there any special cases when using trig substitution?

Yes, there are special cases when using trig substitution. These include when the quadratic term is missing or when the expression under the square root is a perfect square. In these cases, the substitution is not necessary and the integral can be solved using other methods.