1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis - Transcendental Solutions Help

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1

gbu

This isn't really homework help. I'm working through a complex analysis textbook myself, and am stumped on the complex transcendentals, but I figured this was the best place for it. I would greatly appreciate any guidance here, I'm getting very frustrated!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is to find all solutions of [itex]e^{2iz} = 1[/itex] where [itex] z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex].

The correct answer is, I believe [itex]z = n \pi[/itex] for any integer n.

2. Relevant equations

Euler's equation: [itex]-1 = e^{i \pi}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried turning the right hand side in to [itex]-e^{i \pi}[/itex] via Euler's equation, then taking a logarithm of both sides... gives [itex] 2iz = i \pi[/itex]... but Wolfram Alpha says the answer is [itex]n \pi[/itex] where [itex] n \in Z[/itex]. Clearly not where I got to.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If [itex]-1=e^{i\pi}[/itex], what is [itex] e^{2i\pi}[/itex]? (Then consider the rest of the solutions and how they fit in)

You can find them more directly by just using Euler's formula [itex]e^{2iz} = e^{2i(a+bi)} = e^{-2b}e^{2ia} = e^{-2b}(\cos(2a)+i\sin(2a))[/itex]

How can you solve for a and b here?

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3

gbu

I can see intuitively the correct answer from the first line (thanks a lot for that!), it makes it obvious that [itex]n \pi[/itex] is an answer... I'm still not sure how to solve a and b in that equation though.

[itex]e^{-2b}(\cos(2a)+i\sin(2a)) = 1[/itex]
    [itex]\cos(2a)+i\sin(2a) = e^{2b}[/itex]

I don't know where to go from here. Perhaps this is a simpler algebra problem than I'm making it, but it seems like there's two unknowns and only one equation?

[strike]Edit: wait, [itex]\cos(2a)+i\sin(2a)[/itex] is a complex number itself... I'm still not sure where to go with that. Let [itex]w = \cos(2a) + i\sin(2a)[/itex] and we have

[itex]e^{-2b} w = 1[/itex]

But, still not sure how to get to n \pi.[/strike] I'm clearly very confused. I'll go back to the textbook I suppose.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. Feb 23, 2012 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the absolute value of [tex] e^{-2b}(\cos(2a)+i\sin(2a))[/tex]? (Hint: it's [itex] e^{-2b}[/itex]

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5

gbu

Right. Which leaves me with

[itex]
    e^{-2b} = 1
    [/itex]

Which we can log both sides...

[itex]
    -2b = \ln 1 = 0
    [/itex]

Telling me b = 0.

As for a, we have [itex]e^{-2b}(\cos(2a) + i\sin(2a)) = 1[/itex], but we know b is 0.

[strike]So we have [itex ]\cos(2a) + i\sin(2a) = 1[/itex]

[itex ]\cos(2a) + i\sin(2a) = 1[/itex] or [itex ]e^{2ia} = 1[/itex][/itex]

Log both sides... nope?

[itex ]2ia = 0[/itex][/strike]

Still no idea what to do with a. :-( I greatly appreciate your help so far... do you have any recommended reading for this basic stuff? The textbook I'm using is a bit too "succinct" for my learning style. It was going great until we got in to something I didn't "get", and now I feel like I have no where to go with it.

I get the feeling you can't go log(e^Z) = Z where Z is a complex variable. Is this correct?

Edit:

I think when we get to

[itex]\cos(2a) + i\sin(2a) = 1[/itex]

We can just solve by recognizing that cos and sin are periodic on [itex]2\pi[/itex] and thus 2a can be rewritten as [itex]2a + n\pi[/itex] giving

[itex]\cos(2a + n\pi) + i\sin(2a + n\pi) = 1[/itex]

I still don't know how to get rid of all that stuff though. :(

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  7. Feb 24, 2012 #6
    What's wrong with just taking log of both sides?

[tex]z=\frac{1}{2i}\left(\ln|1|+i(0+2k\pi)\right)[/tex]

and that's just:

[tex]z=k\pi,\quad k\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

I think though maybe you're not recognizing that the complex log is infinitely-valued:

[tex]\log(z)=\ln|z|+i(\text{Arg}(z)+2k\pi)[/tex]

and that's what I'm doing implicitly in the first equation above.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. Feb 24, 2012 #7

gbu

Brilliant, thank you jackmell! That's exactly what I was missing. It's funny, the textbook clearly says that, but I just didn't really "see" it.

9. Feb 24, 2012 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Two complex numbers are equal to each other, so the real and complex parts are:
    cos(2a)=1
    sin(2a)=0

hopefully at that point it's clear that a is any integer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook