Complex Analysis - Transcendental Solutions Help

In summary, the student is trying to solve for z in terms of
gbu
This isn't really homework help. I'm working through a complex analysis textbook myself, and am stumped on the complex transcendentals, but I figured this was the best place for it. I would greatly appreciate any guidance here, I'm getting very frustrated!

Homework Statement

The problem is to find all solutions of [itex]e^{2iz} = 1[/itex] where [itex] z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex].

The correct answer is, I believe [itex]z = n \pi[/itex] for any integer n.

Homework Equations

Euler's equation: [itex]-1 = e^{i \pi}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried turning the right hand side into [itex]-e^{i \pi}[/itex] via Euler's equation, then taking a logarithm of both sides... gives [itex] 2iz = i \pi[/itex]... but Wolfram Alpha says the answer is [itex]n \pi[/itex] where [itex] n \in Z[/itex]. Clearly not where I got to.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]-1=e^{i\pi}[/itex], what is [itex] e^{2i\pi}[/itex]? (Then consider the rest of the solutions and how they fit in)

You can find them more directly by just using Euler's formula [itex]e^{2iz} = e^{2i(a+bi)} = e^{-2b}e^{2ia} = e^{-2b}(\cos(2a)+i\sin(2a))[/itex]

How can you solve for a and b here?

I can see intuitively the correct answer from the first line (thanks a lot for that!), it makes it obvious that [itex]n \pi[/itex] is an answer... I'm still not sure how to solve a and b in that equation though.[itex]e^{-2b}(\cos(2a)+i\sin(2a)) = 1[/itex]
[itex]\cos(2a)+i\sin(2a) = e^{2b}[/itex]

I don't know where to go from here. Perhaps this is a simpler algebra problem than I'm making it, but it seems like there's two unknowns and only one equation?

[strike]Edit: wait, [itex]\cos(2a)+i\sin(2a)[/itex] is a complex number itself... I'm still not sure where to go with that. Let [itex]w = \cos(2a) + i\sin(2a)[/itex] and we have

[itex]e^{-2b} w = 1[/itex]

But, still not sure how to get to n \pi.[/strike] I'm clearly very confused. I'll go back to the textbook I suppose.

Last edited:
What is the absolute value of [tex] e^{-2b}(\cos(2a)+i\sin(2a))[/tex]? (Hint: it's [itex] e^{-2b}[/itex]

Right. Which leaves me with

[itex]
e^{-2b} = 1
[/itex]

Which we can log both sides...

[itex]
-2b = \ln 1 = 0
[/itex]

Telling me b = 0.

As for a, we have [itex]e^{-2b}(\cos(2a) + i\sin(2a)) = 1[/itex], but we know b is 0.

[strike]So we have [itex ]\cos(2a) + i\sin(2a) = 1[/itex]

[itex ]\cos(2a) + i\sin(2a) = 1[/itex] or [itex ]e^{2ia} = 1[/itex][/itex]

Log both sides... nope?

[itex ]2ia = 0[/itex][/strike]

Still no idea what to do with a. :-( I greatly appreciate your help so far... do you have any recommended reading for this basic stuff? The textbook I'm using is a bit too "succinct" for my learning style. It was going great until we got into something I didn't "get", and now I feel like I have no where to go with it.

I get the feeling you can't go log(e^Z) = Z where Z is a complex variable. Is this correct?

Edit:

I think when we get to

[itex]\cos(2a) + i\sin(2a) = 1[/itex]

We can just solve by recognizing that cos and sin are periodic on [itex]2\pi[/itex] and thus 2a can be rewritten as [itex]2a + n\pi[/itex] giving

[itex]\cos(2a + n\pi) + i\sin(2a + n\pi) = 1[/itex]

I still don't know how to get rid of all that stuff though. :(

Last edited:
What's wrong with just taking log of both sides?

[tex]z=\frac{1}{2i}\left(\ln|1|+i(0+2k\pi)\right)[/tex]

and that's just:

[tex]z=k\pi,\quad k\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

I think though maybe you're not recognizing that the complex log is infinitely-valued:

[tex]\log(z)=\ln|z|+i(\text{Arg}(z)+2k\pi)[/tex]

and that's what I'm doing implicitly in the first equation above.

Last edited:
Brilliant, thank you jackmell! That's exactly what I was missing. It's funny, the textbook clearly says that, but I just didn't really "see" it.

gbu said:
[itex]\cos(2a) + i\sin(2a) = 1[/itex]

Two complex numbers are equal to each other, so the real and complex parts are:
cos(2a)=1
sin(2a)=0

hopefully at that point it's clear that a is any integer

1. What is Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex variables. It studies the properties and behavior of complex numbers, which are numbers that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What are Transcendental Solutions in Complex Analysis?

Transcendental solutions refer to solutions of equations that involve transcendental functions, such as exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. These solutions are typically more complex and can involve infinite series or integrals.

3. What are some applications of Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is used to study fluid dynamics, electrical circuits, signal processing, and quantum mechanics, among others.

4. How can I solve problems involving Complex Analysis?

To solve problems in Complex Analysis, you need a good understanding of complex numbers, functions, and their properties. It is also important to know how to use techniques such as differentiation, integration, and series expansions to manipulate complex functions and equations.

5. What are some common challenges in studying Complex Analysis?

Some common challenges in studying Complex Analysis include understanding the geometric interpretation of complex functions, visualizing complex numbers and their transformations, and applying complex analysis techniques to real-world problems. It also requires a strong foundation in calculus and algebra.