Why is e^-ipi equal to 1 in complex Fourier series?

In summary: Unless I'm completely mistaken, that's wrong. It should bee^{-i\pi}= cos(-\pi)+ i sin(-\pi)= -1since cos(-\pi)= cos(\pi)= -1 and sin(-\pi)= -sin(\pi)= 0.Yeah, cos(pi) = -1
Poop-Loops
I get how to do them, I just have one question.

An example that my prof. handed out has this:

fourier.jpg

With the f(x) being 0 from -pi to 0, 1 from 0 to pi/2 and 0 from pi/2 to pi.

But my question is when he has the last line in that picture. He has e^-ipi -> 1? I'm not understanding that step he's doing there. I'm doing the first problem in the complex Fourier series section of the homework and I can't seem to simplify anything, so I'm guessing I'm missing some crucial relation here.

EDIT: Actually, I have no idea what the "n=m" part is either. I don't see "m" anywhere in the book.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
n and m are just dummy variables. They don't mean anything, you could just as easily use r, alpha or squiggle to denote elements in the index set.

There's no n=m on that page was there? n=4m, n=4m+2 and n=4m+1 or 3.

You can either sum over even n, or set n=2m and sum over all m.

Yeah I don't get the n=4m n=4m+2 etc parts.

What about the rest? Simplifying e^-ipi as 1?

Poop-Loops said:
Yeah I don't get the n=4m n=4m+2 etc parts.

What about the rest? Simplifying e^-ipi as 1?
Yes, that's true.

[tex]e^{i\theta}= cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/tex]
so
[tex]e^{-i\pi}= cos(-\pi)+ i sin(-\pi)= 1[/tex]
since [itex]cos(-\pi)= cos(\pi)= 1[/itex] and [itex]sin(-\pi)= sin(\pi)= 0[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that's true.

[tex]e^{i\theta}= cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/tex]
so
[tex]e^{-i\pi}= cos(-\pi)+ i sin(-\pi)= 1[/tex]
since [itex]cos(-\pi)= cos(\pi)= 1[/itex] and [itex]sin(-\pi)= sin(\pi)= 0[/itex].

Unless I'm completely mistaken, that's wrong. It should be
[tex]e^{-i\pi}= cos(-\pi)+ i sin(-\pi)= -1[/tex]
since [itex]cos(-\pi)= cos(\pi)= -1[/itex] and [itex]sin(-\pi)= -sin(\pi)= 0[/itex].

Yeah, cos(pi) = -1

But I can't believe I forgot that... Wow... this makes the homework REALLY easy now. Thanks a lot! :D

Just another quick question. Right now I had to do the Fourier series the normal way with An and Bn constants and then do it with Cn constants the complex way.

The former way gave me alternating negative and positive terms and this way gives me either positive or negative terms straight across. Is there a common pitfall or something that I should check, or is it really problem specific? I'm not expecting someone to just say "oh yeah, you did blah blah" or something, but it's always worth a shot. :)

The terms have sines and cosines in them, too. So I just don't know how to make it alternate.

Last edited:

Related to Why is e^-ipi equal to 1 in complex Fourier series?

1. What is a Complex Fourier Series?

A Complex Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as an infinite sum of complex exponential functions. It is used to analyze and represent the frequency components of a signal or function.

2. How is a Complex Fourier Series different from a Fourier Series?

A Complex Fourier Series includes both real and imaginary components, while a Fourier Series only includes real components. This allows for more precise analysis and representation of periodic functions.

3. What is the formula for a Complex Fourier Series?

The formula for a Complex Fourier Series is: f(x) = a0 + Σ(an*cos(nx) + bn*sin(nx)), where a0 is the DC component, an and bn are the Fourier coefficients, and n is the frequency index.

4. What are the applications of Complex Fourier Series?

Complex Fourier Series are used in many fields, including signal processing, image analysis, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the study of vibrations and waves, and in the analysis of electrical circuits and systems.

5. How is a Complex Fourier Series calculated?

A Complex Fourier Series is calculated by finding the Fourier coefficients, an and bn, using the formula: an = (1/π) ∫f(x)*cos(nx)dx and bn = (1/π) ∫f(x)*sin(nx)dx. These coefficients are then used in the formula to find the function f(x).