1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Functions basic concept

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Describe the domain of definition that is understood for each of the functions:

(a) [tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{1 - |z|^2}[/tex]

(b) [tex] f(z) = \frac{z}{z + \bar{z}}[/tex]

(c) [tex]f(z) = Arg(\frac{1}{z})[/tex]

(d) [tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{z^2+1}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

A function f defined on S is a rule that assigns to each z in S a complex number w. The number w is called the value of f at z and is denoted by f(z); that is w = f(z). The set S is called the domain of definition of f.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really do not know how I should approach the problem. Since it is an odd problem the book has only this listed as answers (b) [tex]Rez \not= 0[/tex] (d) [tex]z \not= \pm i[/tex]

I understand that for (b) and (d) that these values will make the denominator = 0. What I do not understand is what I should be describing in (a) and (c). Is it really that simple of a question where you just describe only where the functions are undefined? Anyone care give me any suggestions on where to even start thinking? because I am really struggling on this problem that should be easy since it's the first one of the 2nd chapter.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is that easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook