What Are the Domains of Definition for These Complex Functions?

In summary: The domain of definition for each function is where the function is defined and exists. In summary, the domain of definition for (a) is all values of z except when |z| = 1, for (b) is all values of z except when z = 0, for (c) is all values of z except when z = 0, and for (d) is all values of z except when z = ±i.
DEMJ

Homework Statement

Describe the domain of definition that is understood for each of the functions:

(a) [tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{1 - |z|^2}[/tex]

(b) [tex] f(z) = \frac{z}{z + \bar{z}}[/tex]

(c) [tex]f(z) = Arg(\frac{1}{z})[/tex]

(d) [tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{z^2+1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

A function f defined on S is a rule that assigns to each z in S a complex number w. The number w is called the value of f at z and is denoted by f(z); that is w = f(z). The set S is called the domain of definition of f.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really do not know how I should approach the problem. Since it is an odd problem the book has only this listed as answers (b) [tex]Rez \not= 0[/tex] (d) [tex]z \not= \pm i[/tex]

I understand that for (b) and (d) that these values will make the denominator = 0. What I do not understand is what I should be describing in (a) and (c). Is it really that simple of a question where you just describe only where the functions are undefined? Anyone care give me any suggestions on where to even start thinking? because I am really struggling on this problem that should be easy since it's the first one of the 2nd chapter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is that easy.

1. What is a complex function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that takes in a complex number (a number with both a real and imaginary component) as its input and produces a complex number as its output.

2. How is a complex function different from a real function?

A complex function takes in a complex number as its input, while a real function takes in a real number as its input. Additionally, a complex function can have both real and imaginary parts in its output, whereas a real function can only have a real output.

3. What is the basic concept of a complex function?

The basic concept of a complex function is that it maps a point in the complex plane to another point in the complex plane. This mapping can be visualized as a transformation of the complex plane, where each point is assigned a new value based on the function's rule.

4. What are the components of a complex function?

A complex function can be written in the form f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where z is a complex number with a real part x and imaginary part y, u(x,y) is the real part of the function, and v(x,y) is the imaginary part of the function.

5. What are some common examples of complex functions?

Some common examples of complex functions include the exponential function, trigonometric functions (such as sine and cosine), logarithmic functions, and polynomial functions.