Complex Number, properties of moduli

In summary: I think I'm getting it. In summary, if z_3 is not equal to z_4 then you can use Vector properties to show that: \left.Re(z_{1}+z_{2}) \leq |z_{1}+z_{2}| and \left.|z_{1}+z_{2}| \leq |z_{1}|+|z_{2}|
jianxu

Homework Statement

Hello! I'm lost on how to start this, I've got formulas given to me from the text, but I have no idea on how to piece everything together. So I need to use established properties of moduli to show that when [tex]\left.\left|z_{3}\right|\neq\left|z_{4}\right|[/tex],
then:
[tex]\left.\frac{Re(z_{1}+z_{2})}{|z_{3}+z_{4}|}\leq\frac{|z_{1}|+|z_{2}|}{||z_{3}|-|z_{4}||}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Re is the real component of z where z=(x,y) so x = Re z , y= I am z

z can be written as:
z=x+iy

Vector properties
[tex]\left.|z| = \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\left.z_{1}+z_{2}=(x_{1}+x_{2})+i(y_{1}+y_{2})[/tex]

[tex]\left.Re(z) \leq |Re(z)| \leq |z|[/tex]
[tex]\left.|z_{1}\pm z_{2}|\leq|z_{1}|+|z_{2}|[/tex]
[tex]\left.|z_{1}\pm z_{2}|\geq||z_{1}|-|z_{2}||[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well what I attempted to do is to say the [tex]\left.Re(z_{1}+z_{2})[/tex] portion can be turned into [tex]\left.x_{1}+x_{2}[/tex].
I can also argue(given the properties) the left denominator is bigger or equal to the right hand side denominator since [tex]\left.|z_{1}\pm z_{2}|\geq||z_{1}|-|z_{2}||[/tex] but it doesn't really help since the left term is suppose to be smaller than the right hand term.

I can also say that the term [tex]\left.|z_{1}|+|z_{2}|[/tex] is given by [tex]\left. \sqrt{x^{2}_{1}+y^{2}_{1}}+\sqrt{x^{2}_{2}+y^{2}_{2}}[/tex] which is bigger than just the [tex]\left.x_{1}+x_{2}[/tex] term?

But these methods are just me trying to prove it going reverse. But I'm just really lost trying to prove it starting with the simple [tex]\left.\left|z_{3}\right|\neq\left|z_{4}\right|[/tex] because the question gives us a result that has 2 addition z terms(where does z1 and z2 come from?)? Please give me some advice on how I can approach this.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
But you do want the left denominator to bigger than or equal to the right denominator. Remember, when you take reciprocals of both sides, you have to flip the inequality. Thus the last inequality you listed under relevant equations takes care of the denominators. As for the numerators, apply Re(z) <= |z| then the basic triangle inequality (listed before the last inequality under relevant equations).

Thanks for the reply! I understand what you mean, but would that be the extent of "showing". I guess sometimes I'm just not sure how to properly write these proof type problems.

On a somewhat related note, I'm suppose to graph
[tex]\left.|z+i|\leq3[/tex] and [tex]\left.|z+i|\geq3[/tex]
I know that normally, if we have something like :
[tex]\left.|z-1+i|=1[/tex], it means we have a radius of 1, with a center at (1,-i)
I also know that we can say:
[tex]\left.|z+i|\leq |z| + i = 3[/tex]
and
[tex]\left.|z+i|\geq ||z| - i| = 3[/tex]

So my question is for, [tex]\left.|z+i|\leq3[/tex]:
Would it simply be a circle that is shifted down by i with a radius of 3?
Thanks!

|z+i|< 3

If |z+i|=3 you have a circle of radius three centered at -i. So if |z+i|< 3 then z must be closer to -i than the points on the circle. Does that answer the question?

For the OP, a good way to write those proofs is to start with

[tex]Re(z_1 + z_2) | |z_3| - |z_4| | \leq (|z_1| + |z_2|) |z_3 + z_4|) [/tex]

which holds since you know [itex] Re(z_1 + z_2) \leq |z_1| + |z_2|[/itex] and [itex]| |z_3| - |z_4| _ \leq |z_3 + z_4|[/itex]

Then divide both sides by the appropriate quantities and note that everything you're dividing by is positive

Office_Shredder said:
|z+i|< 3

If |z+i|=3 you have a circle of radius three centered at -i. So if |z+i|< 3 then z must be closer to -i than the points on the circle. Does that answer the question?

Yes that makes sense but how do I show that graphically? I tried changing it to [tex]\left.|z| + i = 3[/tex] is simply because I thought that would help make graphing it easier? Could I also say it is a circle with the radius of 3-i?

Office_Shredder said:
For the OP, a good way to write those proofs is to start with

[tex]Re(z_1 + z_2) | |z_3| - |z_4| | \leq (|z_1| + |z_2|) |z_3 + z_4|) [/tex]

which holds since you know [itex] Re(z_1 + z_2) \leq |z_1| + |z_2|[/itex] and [itex]| |z_3| - |z_4| _ \leq |z_3 + z_4|[/itex]

Then divide both sides by the appropriate quantities and note that everything you're dividing by is positive

So should I be transforming these z's into their components such that [tex]\left.|z| = \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex]? I guess one of my problem is failing to understand where this is going to lead? Will dividing eventually lead me to a point that shows z3 is not equal to z4? I guess my last question is when I divide these quantities, their relationships always seem to be in terms of inequalities, for example:
[tex]\left.Re(z_{1} + z_{2}) \leq |z_{1} + z_{2}| [/tex]
but:
[tex]\left.|z_{1} + z_{2}| \leq |z_{1}| + |z_{2}|[/tex]
so If I were to say divide our expression by [tex]\left. |z_{1}| + |z_{2}|[/tex]
I haven't done inequalities in years but we can't just simply divide the terms like that right because they're not always equal.

Thanks for all the help!

jianxu said:
Yes that makes sense but how do I show that graphically? I tried changing it to [tex]\left.|z| + i = 3[/tex] is simply because I thought that would help make graphing it easier?

Graphically? Draw the circle |z+i| = 3. Shade in all the points on the inside of that circle. What's confusing you about that?

So should I be transforming these z's into their components such that [tex]\left.|z| = \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex]? I guess one of my problem is failing to understand where this is going to lead? Will dividing eventually lead me to a point that shows z3 is not equal to z4? I guess my last question is when I divide these quantities, their relationships always seem to be in terms of inequalities, for example:
[tex]\left.Re(z_{1} + z_{2}) \leq |z_{1} + z_{2}| [/tex]
but:
[tex]\left.|z_{1} + z_{2}| \leq |z_{1}| + |z_{2}|[/tex]
so If I were to say divide our expression by [tex]\left. |z_{1}| + |z_{2}|[/tex]
I haven't done inequalities in years but we can't just simply divide the terms like that right because they're not always equal.

Thanks for all the help!

Don't use the triangle inequality when it's not needed. Keep it simple:

Fact: [tex] Re(z_1 + z_2) \leq |z_1| + |z_2| [/tex]

Fact: [tex] ||z_3|-|z_4|| \leq |z_3 + z_4|[/tex]

So if [tex]A = Re(z_1 + z_2); B = |z_1| + |z_2|; C= ||z_3|-|z_4||; D = |z_3 + z_4|[/tex]

We have

[tex] A \leq B[/tex] and [tex] C \leq D[/tex]

Also A, B, C and D are positive so

[tex] AC \leq BD[/tex]

This is a simple property of inequalities

As [tex]|z_3| =/= |z_4|[/tex] C must be non-zero. Also, it must be [tex] z_3 =/= -z_4[/tex] so D must be non-zero. Hence
[tex] \frac{A}{D} \leq \frac{B}{C}[/tex]
by dividing both sides by the positive, non-zero quantity CD. Compare this with the desired result

Office_Shredder said:
Graphically? Draw the circle |z+i| = 3. Shade in all the points on the inside of that circle. What's confusing you about that?

Well what confused me is the inequality. I understood the expression when it has the equal sign, but the problem that was given was [tex] |z+i| \leq 3 [/tex] so I was trying to find a way to change it into simply an equals sign.

Office_Shredder said:
As [tex]|z_3| =/= |z_4|[/tex] C must be non-zero. Also, it must be [tex] z_3 =/= -z_4[/tex] so D must be non-zero. Hence
[tex] \frac{A}{D} \leq \frac{B}{C}[/tex]
by dividing both sides by the positive, non-zero quantity CD. Compare this with the desired result

Thanks, I see what you mean now. Do you have any advice on approaching a proof problem? I always have the hardest time with them because in a way it is so vague and it seems like there are so many ways to go that I eventually have no idea what to do next.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1. They are used to represent numbers that cannot be expressed on the real number line, such as the square root of a negative number.

2. What is the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the complex plane. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts of the complex number. It is also known as the absolute value of the complex number.

3. What are the properties of complex number moduli?

Some properties of complex number moduli include:

• The modulus of a complex number is always a positive real number.
  • The modulus of a complex number is equal to its conjugate.
  • The product of two complex numbers is equal to the product of their moduli.
  • The modulus of a complex number is equal to the square root of the product of the complex number and its conjugate.

4. How are complex number moduli used in real life?

Complex number moduli are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as in electrical engineering to represent alternating currents and voltages, in physics to describe waves and oscillations, and in computer science to represent signals and data.

5. Can complex number moduli be negative?

No, complex number moduli cannot be negative. The modulus of a complex number is always a positive real number, as it represents the distance from the origin on the complex plane.