Can I solve this complex numbers equation? Finding values for z

In summary, the conversation discusses finding all the values of z that would make the given equation true, with the suggestion of x=0 and y=pi/8 being a possible solution. The conversation then explores the idea of using a systematic approach to find other solutions, with the conclusion that there are infinite cyclical solutions due to the behavior of complex variables.
Mrencko

Homework Statement

upload_2016-9-8_16-17-44.png
ask to find all the values in z to the equation to be true[/B]

Homework Equations

upload_2016-9-8_16-18-18.png
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2016-9-8_20-32-49.png

this is my atemp of solution i don't know what else do, because the problem ask for z values
well i must add that i am thinking about x=0 and y= pi/2 will solve the equation but i don't know if i am right

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-8_16-18-14.png
    upload_2016-9-8_16-18-14.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
What values of [itex] x [/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] could you come up with? Think about it systematically, [itex] x[/itex] first, do you have an exponential on the right hand side?

nope i don't have and exp in the right hand side

What can you say about ##x## and ##y## if you know that ##e^{4x} \cdot (\cos (4y)+ i \cdot \sin (4y)) = i##?

i can say, i need the exp to become 1, and i need the cos4y to become o also i need the sin(4y) become 1 to the equation be true, so i am thinking in x=0 and y=pi/8

Sounds right...just think methodically about the problem, the solution will drop on out for you.

tell me please why i am wrong, or exactly what do you mean about methodically

Mrencko said:
i can say, i need the exp to become 1, and i need the cos4y to become o also i need the sin(4y) become 1 to the equation be true, so i am thinking in x=0 and y=pi/8
Is this the only solution?

well that is a good question, i don't know, is there a method to find out if this is the only solution?, i am taking this approach by the eye method
z=0+pi/8

No, [itex]y = \pi / 8 \pm 2\pi[/itex] are all the solutions... Graph it out and you'll see the other solutions

i guess the other solution will be -15pi/8?

well the graph says that e^4z=i and z=(1/8)i(4piN+pi) nEz but i don't know what that means or how to manueally get there

Formally you have ##e^{x} \cdot (\cos (4y)+ i \cdot \sin (4y)) = |i| \cdot (a+ib)##. (The coefficient ##4## at the ##x## isn't really needed.)
Therefore you have the equations ##1= |i| =e^x ## and ##0 = a = \cos (4y)## and ##1 = b = \sin (4y)## by simply comparing the three terms "length", "real part" and "imaginary part" which you found "by eye". This gave you ##x=0## and ##y=\frac{1}{8} \pi##.
But ##\cos## and ##\sin## are repeating their values.

fresh_42 said:
But coscos\cos and sinsin\sin are repeating their values.
do you mean the natural cicles of sin and cos? i don't get it very clearly

Mrencko said:
do you mean the natural cicles of sin and cos? i don't get it very clearly
Yes exactly. Every full circle (##2 \pi##) you'll get the same values ##\sin (4y) = 1## and ##\cos (4y) = 0## again. So all ##\frac{1}{8} \pi + 2k\pi \; (k\in \mathbb{Z})## are solutions, which means that every full circle (backwards or forwards) you return to the point ##i = (0,i)## again.

This is important! Because it shows you, that the complex exponential function (and the logarithms, too) behave differently compared with the real exponential function. They are not unique anymore! Solutions without repetitions are called principal.

oh thanks i am a beginner in the complex variable and have many doubs about how its behave, many thanks, so this must have infinite ciclical solutions?

Mrencko said:
Actually you need ##\ 4y = \pi / 2 \,,\ ## but then you can add (integer) multiples of 2π to this.

So you then have: ##\ 4y = \frac \pi 2 +2\pi k \,.\ ## Now divide by 4

Likes fresh_42
SammyS said:
Actually you need ##\ 4y = \pi / 2 \,,\ ## but then you can add (integer) multiples of 2π to this.

So you then have: ##\ 4y = \frac \pi 2 +2\pi k \,.\ ## Now divide by 4 and see what values of k give results for y in the interval [0, 2π) .
Oops.

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The imaginary part is a multiple of the imaginary unit i, which is defined as the square root of -1.

How are complex numbers used in equations?

Complex numbers are used in equations to solve problems that involve both real and imaginary quantities. They are especially useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics where calculations involving both real and imaginary numbers are necessary.

What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is a number that can be represented on a straight number line, while a complex number is a combination of a real part and an imaginary part. Real numbers are limited to values on the number line, while complex numbers can take on any value in the complex plane.

How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3 + 5) + (2i + 4i) = 8 + 6i.

Can complex numbers be multiplied and divided?

Yes, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided using the distributive property and the fact that i² = -1. For example, (3 + 2i)(5 + 4i) = 15 + 12i + 10i + 8i² = 15 + 22i - 8 = 7 + 22i. Division is done similarly, by rationalizing the denominator and simplifying the resulting complex number.