Complex numbers + fields

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove the equations 1/z1z2 = 1/z1 1/z2 and 1/z1 + 1/z2 = (z1 + z2)/z1z2 using only the axioms for a field. The conversation mentions that the definition of "multiplicative inverse" and the conditions that z1 and z2 cannot equal 0 are necessary to solve the problems. For the first equation, it is important to show that the right side, (z1z2)(1/z1)(1/z2) is equal to 1. For the second equation, it is important to show that (1/z1+ 1/z2)[(z1
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

Using only the axioms for a field, give a formal proof for the following:

a) 1/z1z2 = 1/z1 1/z2
b) 1/z1 + 1/z2 = z1 + z2/z1z2

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am having a tough time understanding this problem. I know the axioms of a field

i.e. associativity and commutativity for addition and multiplications (those are the only axioms she cares about) but how do i use these to show the above is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, obviously in addition to associativity and commutatitivity you will need to use the definition of "mutliplicative inverse" since that is what 1/z is. And, just as obviously each of these should have the provision "z1 and z2 not equal to 0". And you are missing parentheses from (b)- it should be 1/z1+ 1/z2= (z1+ z2)/z1z2, not what you have.

For the first one, the left side is the multiplicative inverse of z1z2. To show that the right side is also, you need to show that (z1z2)(1/z1)(1/z2)= 1.

For the second you want to show that (1/z1+ 1/z2)[(z1+ z2)/z1z2]= 1.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). They are used to represent quantities that have both a real and imaginary component, such as in electrical engineering and quantum mechanics.

2. How are complex numbers added and subtracted?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 4i) + (2 + 7i) = (3 + 2) + (4 + 7)i = 5 + 11i.

3. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi. In other words, the conjugate of a complex number is the same number with the sign of the imaginary part changed. It is denoted by placing a bar over the number, such as a + bi → a - bi.

4. How are complex numbers multiplied?

To multiply complex numbers, use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last). For example, (3 + 4i)(2 + 7i) = 3(2) + 3(7i) + 4i(2) + 4i(7i) = 6 + 21i + 8i + 28i^2 = (6 - 28) + (21 + 8)i = -22 + 29i.

5. What is a complex field?

A complex field is a set of complex numbers with two operations: addition and multiplication. Addition follows the same rules as adding real numbers, while multiplication follows the same rules as multiplying complex numbers. A complex field is an algebraic structure that is useful in mathematics and physics.