Solving Complex Number Homework Problems

In summary, the conversation involves solving complex number problems using modulus-argument form and evaluating integrals with complex numbers. The solutions for q1 involve finding the modulus and argument of a complex number, and using these values to find the 8th power and square root. For q2 and q3, the same method is used to find the modulus, argument, and roots of different complex numbers, as well as evaluating integrals using complex numbers.
latkan

Homework Statement

(a) Express -1 + √3i in modulus-argument form. Evaluate (-1 + √3i)^8
expressing your answer in (a + ib) form.

Find also the square roots of -1 + √3i in (a + ib) form.
(b) Use complex numbers to find

(intergral is between 0 and ∞) ∫ e^-x cos2x dx.

(a) Find the modulus and argument of -1 - i√3. Hence find (-1 - i√3) ^ 10 in a+ib
form. Find also the square roots of -1 - i√3 in a + ib form.

∫ e^-x sin3x dx

(a) Find the square roots of 1 - i√3. Find also
[(1- i√3)/ (1+i√3)] ^ 8

∫ e^kx cosx dx

where k is a constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For q1. but nt sure u gta check it for me q2 seems similar but q3 lost on it.

q1.
1. Modulus = √ ((-1)&2 + (√3)^2)
= √(1 + 3) = 2
Argument = arctan(√3/-1) = 4 pi /3 (draw a picture to make sure you have the angle in the correct quadrant)

The 8th power has modulus 2^8 = 256 and argument 8 x (4 pi/3) = 32 pi /3 = 2pi/3 (subtract multiples of 2 pi).

modulus 2 pi /3 = cos (2pi/3) + i sin (2pi/3) = -0.5 + √3/2 i

(-1 + √3i)^8 = 256 (-0.5 + √3/2 i) = -128 + 128√3 i

The square root is similar - modulus √2, amplitude 2 pi / 3

(b) ∫ e^-x sin3x dx = I am ∫ e^-x(cos 3x + i sin 3x) dx
= I am ∫ e^x e^3ix dx
= I am ∫ e^(-1+3i) x dx
= I am e^{-1+3i)x / (-1 + 3i)
= I am (-1 - 3i) e^{1+3i)x / (-1 + 3i)(-1 - 3i)
= I am (-1- 3i) e^-x (cos3x + i sin 3x) / 10
= e^-x(-sin 3x - 3 cos 3x) / 10

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't looked at q2 and q3 yet, but the argument you calculated for q1 is wrong. Draw z in the complex plane and calculate the angle using normal trigonometry. As a result the rest of a and b is also wrong, although you used the correct method.

Last edited:

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do I add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 4i) + (2 + 6i) would be (3 + 2) + (4i + 6i) = 5 + 10i. To subtract, you would do the same but with a minus sign, for example (8 + 9i) - (5 + 3i) = (8 - 5) + (9i - 3i) = 3 + 6i.

3. How do I multiply or divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method just like with binomials. For example, (3 + 4i)(2 + 6i) = 6 + 18i + 8i + 24i^2 = 6 + 26i - 24 = -18 + 26i. To divide, you multiply by the complex conjugate of the denominator, which is the same number but with the sign of the imaginary part changed. For example, (3 + 4i) / (2 + 6i) = (3 + 4i)(2 - 6i) / (2 + 6i)(2 - 6i) = (6 + 8i - 18i - 24i^2) / (4 - 36i^2) = (-18 + 26i) / 40 = -9/20 + 13/20i.

4. How do I simplify complex number expressions?

To simplify complex number expressions, you use the properties of exponents and combine like terms. For example, (3 + 4i)^2 = 9 + 24i + 16i^2 = 9 + 24i - 16 = -7 + 24i. You can also use the distributive property to simplify expressions like (3 + 4i)(2 + 6i) = 6 + 18i + 8i + 24i^2 = 6 + 26i - 24 = -18 + 26i.

5. How do complex numbers relate to real life?

Complex numbers have many applications in real life, such as in engineering, physics, and finance. For example, they are used in electrical engineering to represent AC circuits and in physics to describe wave phenomena. In finance, complex numbers are used in the Black-Scholes formula for option pricing. They also have applications in signal processing, control systems, and many other fields.