How Do You Solve Complex Number Equations with Trigonometric Forms?

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation involving complex numbers and converting the answer into the form a*pi/b. The speaker is asking for help with the equation and clarifying the desired form of the answer.
VADER25
hi, I am trying to solve this equation and i would like some help.
i've done some of it already and i don't know how to go on from here.

[tex]z=-\frac{(4-4i)(\sqrt{6}-i\sqrt{2})}{i}\\ =-\frac{(4-4i)(\sqrt{6}-i\sqrt{2})-i}{i(-i)}=(4i+4)(\sqrt{6}-i\sqrt{2})\\ \hspace{6} r=\sqrt{4^{2}+4^{2}}=\sqrt{32}\hspace{6} and \hspace{6} v=\frac{\pi }{4}\hspace{6}[/tex]

the answer should be in this form a*pi/b

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you multiplied out (-i)(4-4i) incorrectly...?

VADER25 said:
hi, I am trying to solve this equation and i would like some help.
i've done some of it already and i don't know how to go on from here.

[tex]z=-\frac{(4-4i)(\sqrt{6}-i\sqrt{2})}{i}\\ =-\frac{(4-4i)(\sqrt{6}-i\sqrt{2})-i}{i(-i)}=(4i+4)(\sqrt{6}-i\sqrt{2})\\ \hspace{6} r=\sqrt{4^{2}+4^{2}}=\sqrt{32}\hspace{6} and \hspace{6} v=\frac{\pi }{4}\hspace{6}[/tex]

the answer should be in this form a*pi/b
What exactly is the question then? You gave an expression of z and now you want the "argument" of z? Any complex number can be written in the form [itex]z= r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))= r e^{i\theta}[/itex].

1. What is a complex number equation?

A complex number equation is an algebraic equation that contains at least one complex number, which is a number expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do I solve a complex number equation?

To solve a complex number equation, you can use the same algebraic rules and techniques as solving equations with only real numbers. This includes combining like terms, isolating the variable, and using properties of exponents. However, you also need to be familiar with the properties of complex numbers, such as conjugates and the quadratic formula.

3. Can a complex number equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a complex number equation can have multiple solutions. In fact, most complex number equations have multiple solutions, as each complex number has two square roots. This means that the equation can have two distinct solutions or even an infinite number of solutions.

4. What is the role of the imaginary unit i in solving a complex number equation?

The imaginary unit i is essential in solving a complex number equation as it allows for the representation of numbers with both real and imaginary components. It is used to simplify expressions involving complex numbers and to solve equations with imaginary solutions.

5. Are there any special cases or rules when solving complex number equations?

Yes, there are a few special cases and rules to keep in mind when solving complex number equations. These include the rules for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing complex numbers, as well as the rules for finding the conjugate of a complex number. It is also important to remember that the solutions to complex number equations may involve imaginary numbers, so you may need to use the imaginary unit i in your final answer.